Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Changing my name- help? any legal bods around?

(4 Posts)
girlnextdoor Tue 22-Jul-08 08:22:35

How do you change you r name back to your maiden name?

I am married, but wish I had never taken my DH surname. How do I go about changing it back- including bank accounts, passport, driving licence, mortgages, tax etc etc?

Is it by deed poll, or do you just revert to maiden name and show copies of birth cert. and marriage cert?

Sawyer64 Tue 22-Jul-08 08:30:50

We changed my Sons Surname by Deed Poll,just before I got remarried.

Apparently,we were told you don't need to do it "legally", just by Deed Poll,as you can change your name at any time,as long as you are not trying to "deceive" anyone ie. you are known as the new name by everyone:Family,Friends,Banks etc.

In the case of our Son ,we did it on-line (The Deed Poll),but had to have a signed letter from his dad to say he agreed.

The Deed Poll was quite cheap,and we just sent that off(and his letter) to the Passport people,and took it with me to the school and Building society etc.HTH

fridayschild Thu 24-Jul-08 18:33:48

In this country you can call yourself whatever you like. The deed poll - or you could do a statutory declaration - is just to give the bank, passport office, some paperwork to show why their records changed.

And it's not illegal to have 2 names either, if you wanted one at work and one at home. So you could just tell people that from now on your name will be X. As Sawyer says, it is the intention to deceive which is illegal.

Hannah81 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:36:12

Deed-Poll - it won't cost that much either - it was £90ish when I did mine but that was about 6/7years ago.

Just go to a solicitor and they will be able to advise you.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now