Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help - fly to the US on Wednesday and have lost pin nr for Mastercard.

(15 Posts)
admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 20:57:44

Does any one know what we have to do to be able to use our card? We have a mastercard and h has lost the pin number because he only uses it to pay things online up to now. Is there any way of us getting a pin number sent to the US to a bank for example? We fly on wednesday and h's bank is miles away in the south of the country (we're in Berlin) - this actually serves him right for not changing banks when we moved but it's going to spoil my holiday too sad

bucksmum Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:31

when we were in the states last year I had to sign for everything and they didn't ask for pin number

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:54

OMG, he's gone to the bank cash point now to try all the 4 digit numbers he's scribbled in the back of his note book, have warned him to not try them as after he gets a few wrong his card will be lost sad

PeachyBAHons Mon 21-Jul-08 21:04:21

dh was shocked in america due to lack of pin technology

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:16

Oh, bucksmum thankyou - have to calm down, I'm thinking hire car and that sort of thing.

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:06:01

Really, phew phew I can breathe again!

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:06:41

Does anyone know if he's going to be able to get a pin number replacement - we'll be over there for 3 weeks.

MrsSprat Mon 21-Jul-08 21:07:09

Yep, no chip and pin at all in US or Canada, and if it gets triggered the shop person can/does override it, generally because they've never heard of it!

You can use your debit card at ATMs, they'll charge $1.75 or thereabouts

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:07:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:09:22

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:10:19

Thanks - my sister got my in a flap telling me I would ALWAYS need a pin number to pay for things. She's an expert because she did Disneyland last year hmm so I'll be OK with the Volksbank mastercard and a passport?

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 21:12:36

So if he needs cash he could go into a bank with his EC card or his credit card doesn't matter which? And a passport and he can get cash? He shouldn't need it really as we have 2500 in dollar and the rest he can pay for with his master card like meals out? Right ? I can sleep tonight can't I?

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 22:06:05

olyoly Mon 21-Jul-08 22:34:13

You will be fine. I only use my English card over here, and have never been asked for a pin.

admylin Mon 21-Jul-08 23:15:26

All is well, he's found out which one is his pin even if he doesn't need it - thanks all and gute nacht cali!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now