Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Fraudulent Tax Credit Claim in my name

(10 Posts)
MrsSnape Mon 21-Jul-08 13:27:56

I've just had a phone call from the tax credit office asking to confirm some details for my "recent claim". I told them I had made no recent claim so they told me someone had made a claim in my name with a different address saying I was registered disabled and had no children and was working for a company called SkyBlue.

Obviously its crap but what worries me is that they had my full name, national insurance number, date of birth and bank account name (although they had tried to change it to a different bank).

They have passed it on to to fraud team but I'm worried, how did they get this info? surely it must be someone that knows me quite well??

And last week I had a phone call saying I had tried to sign up for life insurance?? Could this be connected?

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 13:30:35

Either that or theyv'e lost more bloody data!

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 13:31:40

Sorry that sounded sarccy wasn't supposed to I know it's not funny but YKWIM they did lose child benefit details and all that data was on it.

scorpio1 Mon 21-Jul-08 13:31:56

do you shred stuff?? also try and get a credit report; they may have applied for credit in your name....

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:52:49

Im not sure bank details were on the child benefit records that were lost.

Alot of fraudulent claims are made using details of employers payroll records though

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 13:56:47

I'm pretty sure they were on the disc but could be wrong obv don't work for HM revenues thank god

Well child benefit goes into bank so am imagining they need details.

TheArmadillo Mon 21-Jul-08 14:00:50

have you changed your bank account and informed your bank? They can help keep eye out for any unusual behaviour.

this is govt advice on what to do if you are victim of identity theft. It's worth checking out and there are some links on there to check they haven't been taking out credit/loans in your name.

charliecat Mon 21-Jul-08 14:10:09

Are you sure the people who rang werent fishing for details such as your DOB etc

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 14:12:50

They could of been on there, but I seem to remember the letter I was sent said it was only names and NI numbers, where as 1000s of fraudulent tax credit claims were made using my emloyers 'stolen' payroll records.

boredveryverybored Mon 21-Jul-08 14:15:05

Id be slightly concerned about the people who called you. Did they give you their name, where they worked etc and a contact number to call back on? You say that they told you that they'd pass it onto the fraud people. IME (am a tax credit officer) the only people calling you about this in the first place would be a fraud person.
I would call tax credits on the main number and confirm it all with them.
It could well be someone who has gotton hold of some details and are either fishing for more or simply confirming what they have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now