Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HELP, anyone know about benefits? Am in a right state :(

(27 Posts)
shiffbuggery Mon 21-Jul-08 12:32:37

DH had to leave work a while ago, he was signed off by the doctor and has had continual sick notes ever since.

When we spoke to the benefits people they said we are entitled to incapacity benefit and income support and to claim for both.

We did this and the income support was sorted and back dated.

The incapacity benefit took alot longer and we kept having to get copies of sick notes etc because they lost them ... anyway, after we finally sorted it out and DH had the number of a certain woman who knew our case, he spoke to her daily about the claim.

We received a letter on Friday saying we are entitled and will receive another letter about payment.

DH logged on to his banking this morning and has gone over drawn and charged £95

So because of this we rang the lady and asked when exactly we would receive the payment we had been waiting for and relying on,

she said that you only get one or the other, incapacity or income support!

NO-ONE told us this ever!

We had been expecting this payment, relying on it for over 4 weeks and now we are told that we wont get it.

But why go through it all??

All this time she had been acting like it was our money and they just had to sort out a few things,

I don't understand.

I can't stop crying , everythings just totally f*cked up and we owe so many people money and I don't know what to do now.

DH can't go back to work, they wont let him.

I can't as I am heavily pregnant and have back problems.

shiffbuggery Mon 21-Jul-08 12:39:47

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:00:33

How much Income Support did you recieve?

Did you get a letter telling you how this workd out?

Is DH geting any Statutory Sick Pay?

ShiffBuggery Mon 21-Jul-08 13:04:09

Income support is £87 a week.

We got a letter about it but was till under the impression we would get IB also, no mention of IB in the letter.

He got SSP for the 1st month only. But we didn't actully recieve it as his employer said they had overpaid him previously so his last paycheck which was upposed to be a full amount of SSP was only £49

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:10:47

That does sound like a couple rate to me although it is usually £90 something but they may be reducing it due to other income or savings.

You dont mention it so I assume you have no DC yet.

depending on the nature of DHs incapacity have you looked into DLA yet?

ShiffBuggery Mon 21-Jul-08 13:12:06

We have 2 DC and i am expecting a third.

whats dla?

He has mental health issues

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 21-Jul-08 13:17:25

its true you can only get income support or incapacity not both!!

if you have been getting is for more than 6 months then you can apply for a budegting loan! personally id go and see cab and find out which you should be getting as surely you would be better off/get more on incapacity?

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:22:31

OK if you have 2dc already then Im thinking it maybe isnt right actually. Ill go and search for some rates and see what I think you should be getting- but please dont quote me on it.

DLA is disability living allowance, y can apply wih mental health nesses but t is harder IMO

ShiffBuggery Mon 21-Jul-08 13:24:01

no-body told us that though it was made out we would get both.

we haven't been on it 6 months.

already had to get a loan from them when they took ages to sort out income suppoert.

am going to have to sell everything i own on ebay i guess . lol ...

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:31:29

Id say you should be entitled to £101.70 pw income support (again please don't quote me)
Is the amount being reduced to pay back the social fund loan?

Also have you made sure you are geting CTC- you are still entitled to this even when not working.

Housing benefit/council tax benefit have you aplied for them?

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:48:30

sorry i think it should be £131.70 income support

kiltycoldbum Mon 21-Jul-08 13:54:12

isnt there a maternity payment for £500 you can apply for if youre receiving benefit? dont quote me! look on the website and see if you qualify.

sorry things are so bad sad

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 13:58:47

yes the surestart maternity grant is £500 you can apply from 29 weeks I think up to 3months after the birth. A midwife of health visitor has to sign the form for you.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 21-Jul-08 18:40:31

Income support is around £90 for a couple. There is no child element as you claim via CTC for that part.

You can only claim one or the other re IS or IB.

staryeyed Mon 21-Jul-08 19:05:28

Im sorry to be pedantic but it is not correct that you can not get both Incapcity benefit and Income Support. It actually works that you can apply for incapacity benefit and if you have paid enough national insurance contributions, depending on the amount you have made and how long you have been off work you will receive a certain level of IB. This can then be topped up to a certain amount.

taken from Job centre website:
With Income Support there is no need for you to have made any contributions to the National Insurance (NI) scheme. And, even if you are getting a social security benefit such as Incapacity Benefit, you may be able to get Income Support as well.

Taken form CAB website:
If you are not sure whether you meet the national insurance contribution conditions for Incapacity Benefit, and you are on a low income, you should claim Income Support at the same time as Incapacity Benefit. This is because you may be able to get Income Support instead of, or as well as, Incapacity Benefit.

staryeyed Mon 21-Jul-08 19:06:39

Sorry should have said: this can be topped up to a certain amount with Income support.

charliecat Mon 21-Jul-08 19:08:00

Tax credits? Have you told them about your change in circumstance?

PersephoneSnape Mon 21-Jul-08 20:18:07

staryeyed is right. (i work for jcp) ask income support/incap for help under 'financial redress for maladminstration' this could help cover the bank charges if you expected incap/IS and it didn't arrive on time or you feel you were mis-advised. hubby could also qualify for DLA -perfectly acceptable for stress/mental incapacity. check out - here he may not be this incapacitated, but worth a shot.

all the best dear - i do feel for you. x x

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 20:33:48

couple rate is about £90 but don't you still get the family premium on top too? or did that go out with tax credits aswell?

<Its been a while since I did IS claims>

KaSo Mon 21-Jul-08 20:40:24

I doubt it was ever made out that you'd get both as you can't. If the applicant has worked and paid NICS then it'll be Incap if not, it'll be IS on the basis of Incapacity. I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

staryeyed Mon 21-Jul-08 20:42:21

Kaso I just explained that you can, backed up by persephhonesnape.

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 20:51:28

IIRC It wouldnt matter whether the OPs DH had paid enough contributions to qualify for IB or not as an IS claim has to be set up anyway to claim for his partner.
The applicable amount for the claimant, partner and children plus any premiums would be worked out, then any income including IB and CTC would be taken off to calculate the entitlement.

It just makes more sense that, instead of 2 sections paying one family, they enter the IB as £0 and income support pay the incapcity on behalf of the IB section.

beckykj Mon 21-Jul-08 20:52:37

We claimed both last year, got £98 a week ib and it was topped up with £30 a week income support so you CAN get both, my dad also gets both.

fiodyl Mon 21-Jul-08 20:57:50

It doesnt really matter if it is paid separately or both together it should still be the same amount.

From what the OP has said I dont think they are geting the full amount for a family of 2 adult and 2 kids as Im sure the family premium still applies post tax credits.

£87 pw is low unless there are deductions for other income/savings etc and I think she said they are already paying back a crisis loan.

beckykj Tue 22-Jul-08 21:22:08

You don't get a family premium anymore it's all done through tax credits now, you should get about £130 a week then tax credits on top, i got £90 a week ctc for 2 children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now