Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you know what the rules are about bringing young children into pubs?

(11 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Sat 19-Jul-08 14:47:53

DH and I will be going to a festival with our DS in August, following which we plan to pootle off to see a friend performing in a gig.

However the gig starts at 7.30 and it would be impossible to get DS home to a babysitter and then back to the gig, so we thought we'd chance it and get him to fall asleep in the buggy (the gig is poetry, not music - so it'll be easy for him to fall asleep!).

Only thing is, the gig's in a pub. I'd like to call them to check if it's okay to bring our DS, but would like to find out in advance what is/ isn't allowed by law, as different publicans seem to do different things.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers to the right information.

MrsThierryHenry Sat 19-Jul-08 14:52:18

Sorry, I should clarify what I'm asking for - do you know until what time we can bring our young tot (19mo) into a pub?

LIZS Sat 19-Jul-08 19:31:29

Depends if they are licenced for under 18's. afaik there is no time limit, you either can or not. More likely if there is a designated food area, apart from the bar. ds was thrown out of a pub at about 2-3 weeks old because they weren't licenced for under 18's inside!

notcitrus Sun 20-Jul-08 01:08:44

Even if they do have a licence for under-14s, it may only be for one room (ie one without the bar in). And even if they do, many pubs ban children in the evening - so only the pub can answer.

MrsThierryHenry Sun 20-Jul-08 15:09:34

That makes sense - one pub allowed us to stay until 9 a couple of months ago, and all my research has brought up the vaguest of results. Thanks for your help; I'll just call the pub then!

smile

wannaBe Sun 20-Jul-08 15:21:14

there's no specific law about this other than that under 18s are not allowed at the bar. Other than this it is at the licencee's discretion so they are well within their rights to say no children, especially at 7;30 at night.

Bronze Sun 20-Jul-08 15:27:37

I'm sure there are laws to do with babes in arms but I don't think 19 mths counts as that anyway.

MoaningMinnieMe Sun 20-Jul-08 15:32:35

Am not sure there is any laws, think it's up to the place. Only the pub itself would know I guess. I have definatly had and seen babies/toddlers in pubs.

Bronze Sun 20-Jul-08 15:35:03

Ok the laws have changed since I knew them

http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/uk/child.htm might help.

Bronze Sun 20-Jul-08 15:35:32

sorrywww.drinkingandyou.com/site/uk/child.htm

MrsThierryHenry Sun 20-Jul-08 16:06:06

Minnie and wannaBe, that certainly seems to be the case as far as I can see it, too.

Thanks for that website, Bronze. Funnily enough it quotes one of my old university lecturers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now