Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

over the limit for legal aid, can I appeal?

(8 Posts)
timetogetthingsmoving Fri 18-Jul-08 21:20:16

Hiya Me again with another question!

I am aprox £80 over the limit per month to be entitled to legal aid. Now the reason I am over is, I believe, because I have a disabled child and there is a higher amount awarded because of this with tax credits. Do you think I could appeal? Maybe apply anyway? Don't know how the system works really.

I have first appt with sol next week, I was waiting on the child tax award to come through the post after renewing it, before seeing sol, as I have to bring it with me. Seeing that child tax credit has now gone up, I am over the limit sad

Any suggestions?

thankyou

timetogetthingsmoving Sun 20-Jul-08 21:25:19

aww does nobody know? sad

whoops Sun 20-Jul-08 21:28:20

It is the solicitor that will decide as they are paid by the legal services. If they make a wrong decision they would end up having to pay back the amount paid to the legals services which could cost them thousands.
Has the Solicitor told you you're not entitled or can you discuss this when you see the solicitor next week?

MamaG Sun 20-Jul-08 21:32:08

put your details in here

If you're over, you're over and they won't budge

timetogetthingsmoving Sun 20-Jul-08 21:35:13

ah thanks soo much for replying whoops smile

Yes it was the solicitor, wish I had started this earlier now as at that point I would have been entitled, although asuming that they would want updates of child tax, that may not have happened.

I will discuss it further with Solicitor at the appt this week.

Thanks again grin

timetogetthingsmoving Sun 20-Jul-08 21:37:12

Thanks Mama,
I know the limit has to be set somewhere, just thought there may be exceptions to that rule.

Thanks for the link smile

MamaG Sun 20-Jul-08 21:39:57

Time - you have to tell the LSC of any change in circumstances so even if you had told them sooner, they would have stopped your funding as soon as your circs changed.

Are you certain you are not entitled? Do the calculator if not/

timetogetthingsmoving Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:27

Ahh I thought that was probably the case, least I would have got some of it legal aid. Not much I can do about it now, so spose I'll just have to get on with it!!

Yep have done the calculations and says not entitled. Hey Ho hmm

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now