Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Trouble with Hachette Partworks magazine company

(1 Post)

I agreed that dd could have the Spongebb collection for a while and we had it delivered - paid by cheque when we got an invoice.

After a while we cancelled by letter (which we're allowed to do) and sent the final cheque. I keep getting letters saying I still owe £23.92 which I know I've paid. I emailed them and no response, I also confirmed in the email (back in April) that I'd cancelled.

Got another invoice/letter, rang them this time. They said they would sort it out.

Got another invoice - emailed them and no reply.

Got another letter, this time got a reply asking for cheque numbers. I managed to get cheque numbers by ringing up the bank as I've lost my chequebook. So told Hachette dates and cheque numbers.

Got another invoice/letter today. Rang up and spoke to some muppet who was very rude. She also mentioned that my account is still open. I told her that I shut it months ago and have saved the emails and can prove it. They reckon I never sent them the cheque numbers so have resent the email. Only problem is although Barclays have told me that cheques for the correct amount cleared on certain days - they can't tell me who the cheque was made out to. Its very unlikely that I paid someone else a cheque for £23.92 but how can I prove it? Also if I want a replacement statement from Barclays I will have to pay for it. I can see me having to pay another £23.92 just to get them off my back and the principle of it makes me sooooo mad. Is there anything else I can do?

On another forum I read an old post from someone who had nearly identical problems with then and the baliffs came round!!!! He ended up paying just to stop it all - but how bad is that? I'm so angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now