Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice, I have been naughty will it affect hubby when it comes to the mortgage??

(27 Posts)
HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:46:28

I am so angry with myself but cannot change it now.

I got behind on credit card payments that dh doesn't know about, in my name.

He got a mortgage nearly 2 yrs ago that is coming to an end and he wants to change the mortgage plus add some to it to clear a credit card that he has. Will what I have done affect him getting a new mortgage, changing mortgage companies etc...

I am so clueless when it comes to anything to do with the mortgage as it is all in his name.

Just want to know. blush

beanieb Thu 17-Jul-08 10:48:26

If your credit card is registered at his house then it might. If I were you I would talk to him about it and make sure you pay the next three payments on your card as this will put your credit rating on a better standing.

stroppyknickers Thu 17-Jul-08 10:50:45

Is the mortgage in his name only?

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:51:43

beanieb, it got to the point where I am now paying off in 3 intallments the amount I owe as it got that bad, if you know what I mean. I have to pay off the whole balance and didn't pay the bill for a long while. angry (with myself).

Would it help if I paid it off quicker or is it irreversible now??

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:52:05

The mortgage is in his name only, yes.

thelittlestbadger Thu 17-Jul-08 10:53:00

I would have thought if you pay it all off as quickly as possible it would help a lot. Also, you have to tell him - sorry

Bimblin Thu 17-Jul-08 10:53:46

You can apply for your credit report on experian and find out exactly what it says and then contact the companies. It will also say if you are seen as having joint finances.

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:55:42

We don't have any joint finances. The mortgage and all of the bills are in his name, apart from council tax actually, coming to think of it. He has his own bank account etc....

I went to experian but it still wanted card details, I didn;t have a card to put in??

sagacious Thu 17-Jul-08 10:55:43

If the mortgage is in your name it won't affect a re mortgage.

I do wonder about your "I've been naughty" you're an adult surely and if you've got separate finances I don't see how it can be a problem.

Tell him you're behind if it worries you. no point stressing about it .. shit happens!

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:57:48

I know, I know. He was talking mortgages with his friend last night and said to me, have I been 'good', regarding money. However, I thought that if the mortgage is in his name then it shouldn't affect it. Even, though I shouldn't have defaulted on payments in the first place.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Thu 17-Jul-08 10:59:07

If you have any joint accounts together, live at the same address, in fact I think just the fact that you are married, both of your credit files will be linked.

When DH and I moved in together (before he was DH) I had to ask for both my mum (who I had lived with previously) and my dad (who I hadn't lived with for years) to be taken off my credit file before I could even get a mobile phone contract (my file was perfect, it was theirs - mainly my dad's - that stopped anything going through.)

Could you sign up to the Equifax thing so you can view your file? It might give some clues as to how you can improve it.

I think you know you have to tell him though, either way.

sagacious Thu 17-Jul-08 10:59:12

Is in his name.
Soz

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:03:48

Yep, mortgage is in his name, always has been in the last 3 houses!

When I went to equifax it asked for a card and I don't have a card that they ask for.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Thu 17-Jul-08 11:07:12

You can send a cheque for a one off file to be posted to you, think it is only about £2.50 or something.

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:09:15

oooh ok, can I do that on equifax too?

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Thu 17-Jul-08 11:10:31

Well DH deals with ours, but I think he just goes to the website and finds the link to have one posted out.

beanieb Thu 17-Jul-08 11:39:57

The reason I say make sure you pay three repayments in a row is because they use this as a guide when doing your credit rating. If you have one missed payment in three then your credit rating is worse.

beanieb Thu 17-Jul-08 11:40:49

Oh - adn credit checks are done against the address, not always just against the individual.

KatieDD Thu 17-Jul-08 11:56:37

That isn't true at all these days credit checks are done against Individuals not address' so don't be concerned, if he is clean as a whistle it will be fine, what i would be more concerned with is make sure he has as little other debt as possible because the banks are tightening up on the mortgages being offered.
hth

beanieb Thu 17-Jul-08 12:01:19

Are you sure they are never done against addresses, this is different to what I have been told quite recently. Does it differ from check to check?

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 12:05:19

DD2 got herself into a fairly bad sitaution financially based at this address - credit cards & mobile phone unpaid for several months. Eventually she sorted out a repayment plan with CCCS & is now going straight wink although she still owes a lot.

Anyway while all that was going on we were still, with the same surname & address, able to get credit cards etc so I would hope it will be the same for your DH, HNYF.

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 12:07:02

Oh, we didn't have any joint accounts with her of course - maybe that would make a difference if you do.

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:51:17

Hi Guys,

Thanks for advice. I hve been told in the past that is now done on the indvidual person and not address. However, I am still going to clear the debt asap and hopefully before the mortgage renewal on 4 mths time.

I am not overly concerned as we have a mortgage already so we will get one its just if it is what he wants or not, if you know what I mean!

We don't have any joint accounts which is good and all of his stuff gets paid on time.

DaisySteiner Thu 17-Jul-08 13:43:35

Yes, it is done on the individual person but if you're married then you are probably financially linked and so it may well affect him.

Don't mean to worry you, but don't assume that just because you've got a mortgage now means that you'll definitely be able to get another one or at least be able to get the best deals available. We had to switch mortgages at the beginning of the year (ie before things got really bad credit crunch-wise) and the bank told us that they'd only given it to us because our financial record was "spotless" - they really had gone through it with a fine tooth comb. They also look at your other oustanding debts on credit cards and the fact that he's trying to consolidate an extra debt onto his mortgage might not look good either.

I wonder if you should really talk this all through with a mortgage broker now as they can probably give you an up to date idea of how easy it's going to be.

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:55:43

Our friend does mortgages so will speak to him about it.

I don't think he is worried if he can't add the existing credit card to the mortgage. We had that when we got our existing mortgage anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now