Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Inheritance Question???

(7 Posts)
Lupins71 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:05:51

I am due to inherit some money from my grandads estate, the probate has all been done but we are now being told they have put it in some acct for 6months in case the will is questioned by anyone and money needs to be paid to them - Ok I get this, but what with some very bad luck and this credit crunch with costs going up we are starting to struggle, is there any way I can say I will take my chances that someone will put a claim on the money and I would at least appreciate having my set amount (there is a set amount, then a % of whats left) otherwise we have to wait quite a few more months which will make life extremely unpleasant, anyone know if it is possible to do this??

mumblechum Thu 17-Jul-08 10:07:42

You can always ask, but I suspect that there is no option but to leave it.

remember that it'll be on a designated client account which will get a fairly good rate of interest.

Lupins71 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:16:33

Thanks mumble, would it be the solicitor dealing with the acct or the exectuctor that I would ask?

mumblechum Thu 17-Jul-08 10:19:10

The solicitor, usually.

Lupins71 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:19:36

Thanks x

DRAGON30 Thu 17-Jul-08 22:45:25

I think you can take out insurance AGAINST long-lost relatives appearing, - don't know how much it might cost, though. I had a greataunt who died recently,- intestate, never married, and no siblings or children! The estate had to be split between her cousins and their offspring. There was always a chance that SOMEONE would be missed, (gone abroad, changed name, everyone thinking they were dead when they weren't etc).The solicitors dealt with everything, but I do remember insurance being mentioned. It might be worth looking into.

Lupins71 Fri 18-Jul-08 09:45:17

Thanks, I will look into it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now