Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

does anyone know about benefits?

(19 Posts)
fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 12:42:24

dp has sort of lost his job.

They said that they will keep him on till Christmas, but tbh I'm not sure whether we would be financially better off if they let him go now.

Can anyone tell me what we would be entitled to if he didn't start back when school does in September? There's no issue of him making himself unemployed, he can leave now or Christmas but cannot stay.

We have three children all either in school or pre-school. We rent our house. We currently get working tax credits.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated - I have rang the job centre and they say that they can't tell me what we will be entitled to, we have to make a claim and I don't want to tell them that I want to know what we will be entitled to before we make a decision on wehther to claim or not...

LittleMyDancing Wed 16-Jul-08 12:43:31

Do you have any savings? If you have savings of over a certain amount then you can't claim.

Do you work? Your income will be taken into account as well, so that might affect it.

LittleMyDancing Wed 16-Jul-08 12:44:10

Try Entitled To for an idea of what you might get

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 16-Jul-08 12:47:32

Your DH would claim Jobseekers Allowance for you and him (assuming you don't work outside the home, if you do it will be JSA Cont for him only). If no-one is working you will no longer get WTC. You will continue to get CTC. Your rent and most of your council tax will be paid if no-one is working. However, if your DH's employer says he left his job voluntarily there may be a problem with his entitlement to JSA if the Adjudication disallow him. Hard to know without more info, which is why JCP need you to make a claim to assess your full entitlements.

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 12:58:25

thank you.

That link was really helpful - it seems that we would still have to pay a bit towards our rent but as other things would be paid for, I think we would be better off if he left now.

There is no issue of him making himself unemployed, officially, he will finish at the end of August, but they have said that they will find him something until Christmas - to help us out.

Which I don't actually think it would.

Again, thanks.

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 13:03:11

Message withdrawn

LittleMyDancing Wed 16-Jul-08 13:14:30

Glad the link came in handy - sorry to hear about your DPs job - hope something else comes along soon!

PaulineMole1 Wed 16-Jul-08 13:28:03

Your dp would make a claim for jsa this will take up to two weeks to sort out but your ctc will continue and they may continue with your wtceeks while your for up to 4 weeks while your jsa is sorted ,or they will give you a lump sum of 4 weeks of WTC (this is what happened to us).

When the jsa goes through your dp will get around 208.00 every fortnight.

You will get ctc each week and family allowence .

Make sure you claim Council tax and housing benefot and get receipts every time you fill in a claim they will want to see 2 bank statements and wageslips so go prepared ,if you are in a council house ring the housing asap and explain the situation and they will lower the rent until housing benefit is sorted

HTH

bellavita Wed 16-Jul-08 13:28:48

Aww squonk sad

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 14:00:32

thanks guys.

bellavita - good job he took me out when he did eh?

bellavita Wed 16-Jul-08 14:15:15

Tis a good job.

I have been to the very same place today for my lunch with DS2. DS2 off school yesterday with temperature. He could have gone back today as he seems to have made a full recovery, but hey ho nearly the end of term.

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 14:18:07

we should have a summer meet up there.

Just adults.

Perhaps when they are having their "skint folk only so all beers are half price" day wink

bellavita Wed 16-Jul-08 14:19:16

Hey - even staff don't get "skint folk only half price days" grin

Do you ever get to Monks Cross?

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 14:20:28

If we go shopping, we tend to go into Hull because that's where dp works (<<<sobs>>>)
but we're bang in the middle, so Monks Cross is just as easy to get to.

lulumama Wed 16-Jul-08 14:21:44

sorry to hear that squonkalicious

bellavita Wed 16-Jul-08 14:22:24

Well perhaps we can have a coffee and a wander round after the school hols?

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 14:22:52

s'ok, lulu. Apart from anything else, I figure if he's going to be unemployed long term, I could do that doula course.

fryalot Wed 16-Jul-08 14:23:24

bella - yep. Count me in for that one, deffo.

lulumama Wed 16-Jul-08 14:24:33

quite, and he can look after the DCs. hope it works out for you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now