Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Children's Investment Trusts

(2 Posts)
MumtoPhoebeboo Wed 16-Jul-08 11:23:51

I'm hoping for some advice regarding children's investment trusts. DD was born in 2001, before the introduction of Child Trust Fund voucher. I have approximately £1000 that I want to invest for her, long-term, that could potentially help with school fees etc in about 5 years time (with regular top-ups) I've come across several Investment Trust plans for children such as F&C Children's Investment Plan and JPMorgan Investment Trusts that give the option of investing in various equities, globally, managed by a fund manager.

Does anyone have any experience of using such a trust and, given the current economic climate, would it be foolish to invest in such a thing now, or is it a good time to take advantage of potentially undervalued equities or emerging markets? Any advice would be very welcome! Thank you! grin

fiodyl Wed 16-Jul-08 12:38:00

If it was me Id steer well clear a t the moment and stick the money in a high interest account instead- theres plenty offering 7% and I think this is a safer bet in the short term. Id then re look at the investment plans in say 3-5 years time for the undervalued equities and emerging markets mention in your OP.

my childrens CTF are in stakeholder plans but as they don't mature until 2024-25 its a completely different ball game. I don't add regular amounts to them though, I put this in a Halifax regular saver at 10% instead.I will put this money into their trust funds when prices are low but still with enough time for them to increase before the funds mature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now