Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Just dropped my mobile down the loo...

(15 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Tue 15-Jul-08 21:07:16

...and now it's died. I don't have phone insurance, and I'm with Orange (have been with them for about 4 years now). Do I have to pay full price for a replacement, or are they kind to their customers when this happens?

Littleface Tue 15-Jul-08 21:09:43

No idea, but years ago my lil sis accidently put hers in the washing machine, we took the bat and sim out dried it over night and it worked when we out it back together. Prob no help but you never know! smile

flamingtoaster Tue 15-Jul-08 21:11:43

When my sister worked in Marconi she knocked her husband's radio into the bath. She was in a panic but one of the guys told her to open it and put it in the airing cupboard for a few days - it worked perfectly. It's worth a try with a mobile - don't try to turn it on again until it is perfectly dry.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 15-Jul-08 21:12:56

Well, I never knew that. We don't have an airing cupboard but I could put the oven on very low and see what happens!

OverMyDeadBody Tue 15-Jul-08 21:13:30

Well my DS was found 'texting' with my phone under the water in the bath once. I was on a contract and was due an upgrade anyway so it wasn't a problem.

Are you on contract? If so you usually get an upgrade once a year so you might be due one?

OverMyDeadBody Tue 15-Jul-08 21:14:01

I tried drying mine out but it didn't work.

tibni Tue 15-Jul-08 21:18:53

My mobile survived a full cycle of the washing machine. DH took the battery and sim card out, had it in opened up position (slide model) and put it in the airing cupboard for 3 days. Didn't expect it to work but it was fine. The screen stayed misted for months after, and I didn't use the camera, but calls and texts worked.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 15-Jul-08 21:30:09

Thanks Over, but I just had an upgrade 6 months ago, signed up for 18 months so sadly I can't take advantage of that.

Drying out sounds worth a try, though. Long as I don't forget it's in the oven!

OverMyDeadBody Tue 15-Jul-08 21:32:08

oh that's a shame!

Goos luck with drying it out.

CoteDAzur Tue 15-Jul-08 21:38:33

Stick in the oven, right now.

See here.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 15-Jul-08 23:20:17

Cote - thanks! Have it in the oven on a delicate 50 degrees, so I'll crank it up. Only problems are:

1) I did turn it on a while ago (oops!)
2) I dropped it in...wee! Not convinced urea is good for the circuit boards but I'll give it a go!

wink

hopefully Wed 16-Jul-08 09:41:13

When did you last get an upgrade? If it was a while ago you may be eligible for another one...

MrsThierryHenry Wed 16-Jul-08 21:19:55

Thanks, hopefully - only 6 months ago. However, huge thanks to those of you who suggested drying it, it seems to have worked! The phone's almost back to normal (though I melted the sim card - note to self: sim cards and heat don't mix!).

So thanks all! grin

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 21:23:17

I walked into my kitchen a few days ago to find my phone sat in the cat water bowl, completel emmersed for god knows how long, probably overnight.

It was still on....i took battery straight out, not bothering to turn off, took out memory card, sim and front cover, put it all on the radiator on low for two hours, then left on shelf for another 12 hours, probably should have done 24, it worked fine.

When I dropped DHs phone into a cup of coffee - although I sped it up somewhat by using a hairdryer to dry it out.

flamingtoaster Thu 17-Jul-08 09:01:52

Glad it's working again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now