Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Challenge? There is just me and dd.. what's the minimum I could live on in a 4 wk month?

(24 Posts)
MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 12:49:50

Right I need your help?

next month between pay days is 4 weeks.. I have a lot of expense coming up on top of my outgoings that I can't spread so...

I use £50 worth of petrol a fortnight. On top of that what is the minimum amount of money you think I could live off for the month the money would have to coverday to day living costs (food, housefold sundries, petrol)

I really need to spend as little as poss and how would also be good..

I have some food in freezer and I intend to meal plan

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 12:52:37

how many adults/children do you need nappies etc too???

MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 12:54:04

it's just me and dd. no nappies (for either of us) lol

MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 12:57:01

I've currently got my fruit & veg down to £5-10 a week..

I have some meat and fish in the freezer so don't need to buy that..

is value loo roll uneconomical?

i will need washing powder

Would £200 be too little?

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 12:57:11

right lets see £100 of petrol

then I (personally) for just 2 could probably do the food/household sundries etc for £100 or less).

I usually spend around £200 a month for me and 3 DS's, including nappies, cleaning stuff etc....

so I would say £100........

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 12:57:38

sorry that should be I'd say £200 (to include the petrol)

MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 12:57:47

I will need things for dd's sandwiches, cold meat cheese etc.. that all adds up <argh>

MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 12:58:45

I think maybe 200 too FAQ but I think it'd be really tight

I take it you meal plan? where do you shop?

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 12:58:58

I do packed lunches for DS1 - so that's included in there and I buy the "dreaded" cheese strings for him too blush

scattyspice Tue 15-Jul-08 12:59:59

Is this just for 1 month? If so:
Eatvery basic food from Lidl (beans on toast, baked potatos, mince based meals). Make scones, fairy cakes, sponge cake for snacks.
Plan cheap/free days out (school hols hmm). Swimming, picnics, beach, library.
Set budget with DD ie 1 comic only, no clothes, colouring book or something.
Don't buy a thing for yourself sad.
Avoid shops.
Only spend cash.

You can probrbly get by on £30 food, £20 sundries plus petrol / week.

scorpio1 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:00:03

instead of sandwiches could you make up pasta salad?

Value loo roll is ok. You could use cheaper washing powder?

mumblechum Tue 15-Jul-08 13:00:11

A good thing for sandwiches is to make a roast chicken (you can get one for about £3.50) then once you've had your main meal, slice the leftovers for sandwiches. If you froze some you could prob. get about 5 sandwiches out of the leftovers.

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 13:00:11

have to confess I often forget to meal plan blush - usually do one "big" Asda shop a month (especially for my bulky stuff as I don't drive), and use Morrisons for everything else.

Buy boots nappies so I can get my advantage points (and because I don't like Asda or Morrisons own brand nappies LOL)

scattyspice Tue 15-Jul-08 13:01:42

Get big box wash powder from Lidl (£6) and use 1/2 cup per wash. It will last the month.

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 13:03:01

I make a big box from Asda (think about the same price as the Lidl one you mentioned) and make it last well over a month grin

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 13:04:45

oh and on the £200 I spend for the 4 of us I get at least 2 bottles of wine too (well it's top of the shopping list actually wink)

MascaraOHara Tue 15-Jul-08 13:12:30

£6 on washing powder? the last box i bought cost 89p and lasted me a week and a half lol

DD will be at CM and I will be at work so although we both need packed lunches I don't need to worry too much about days out, we can stay in for the mo st part at the weekends this month

I can buy a cheap chicken and roast it, someone mentioned freezing it, do you freezer the meat after it's cooked? does it defrost ok?

I can make dd pasta salad yes, I'm not sure she'd be very happy with it but will try her lol

I think I have enough pasta and rice.. they key will be being organised I guess (?)

Do you guys never need to shop in between main shops? I seem to be forever just nipping to the local shop for something and bang goes another £10 lol

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 14:10:15

I do buy bread and milk and other bits and pieces between shops - but I only use cash for anything other than the main shop - much less tempting to spend it then grin

scattyspice Tue 15-Jul-08 15:02:09

We're potty training FAQ.

FAQ Tue 15-Jul-08 15:20:43

scatty - I'm nighttime training - DS1 has a wet bed EVERY night - so it's duvet cover, sheet and pillowcase every day, plus his PJ's grin

scattyspice Tue 15-Jul-08 15:53:28

I'm keeping the nappies firmly on at night for now lol. She gets through several trousers and knickers a day as it is (and we started in Jan!)

Lizzzombie Tue 15-Jul-08 16:05:35

Sign up to Pine Cone research website. You get £4 luncheon vouchers for each online survey they send you. Ok, so I only get one every 6 weeks or so, but every little bit helps, and £4 is a bit off the shopping bill.

Sign up to Buzz Agent and if you are selected to do one of their market research things you get sent loads of coupons. I got £5 worth of free yoghurt this month.

Also, go through your local paper with a fine tooth comb for coupons. Some supermarkets, I think Asda is one, take coupons even if you aren't buying that product.

Share "Bog Off" offers with mates. Eg. You don't need 2 bags of satsumas, they don't need 2 bags of peaches - swap the free ones over?

Lizzzombie Tue 15-Jul-08 16:07:36

Also - cash in your supermarket loyalty cards. I enquired recently in Sainsburys if I could use any nectar points towards my shop. I didn't realise I had £8 on my nectar card. My shop was only £9. So I only had to pay £1!

stickybun Thu 17-Jul-08 22:55:24

Buy bags of pulses chickpeas, haricot beans - cook the whole darn lot and freeze them in user-friendly portions. Much cheaper than tins and much cheaper than Sburys who may just have nicked my idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now