Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just done something really stupid - am I going to be in trouble??

(18 Posts)
chel86 Mon 14-Jul-08 15:29:31

Started claiming housing benefit because income dramatically dropped and we were privately renting. Completely forgot about it. I don't deal with my finances - I have a money manager and pay a monthly fee for them to deal with my icomings and outgoings and then give me anything left over. So I really did forget about it.

We then bought our first home and moved out of rented place on 20th May. I sorted all bills out etc. Then got a letter through today to new address advising that someone had been round re: housing benefits and to give them a call. This reminded me that I was still claimig housing benefits and I panicked. Rang housing benefits straight away to cancel them, but panicked when they asked when tenancy ended, thinking I was going to be in trouble for not telling them straight away. So when I told them a different date, they caught me out because someone had been round since we'd moved out and new tenants were in. My benefits had been suspended in June. I called them back and spoke to a different person and told them I want to cancel and the actual moving out date, but previous telephone call was recorded and she'll pass the information on to the person I spoke to originally.

I'm worried now. I can honestly say that I was not being fraudulent - I completely forgot I was getting housing benefits. And I don't know why I tried lying to them really about the moving out date, only because I panicked. I have no problems in paying back any over-paid benefits to them.

But have I just dug a huge hole and will I get in to big trouble for this??

Tortington Mon 14-Jul-08 15:31:36

they will be mean and send mean letters - but as long as you pay it back they won't be fucked

Ihavelayers Mon 14-Jul-08 15:31:53

You will probably get told to pay it back to them .

chel86 Mon 14-Jul-08 15:39:09

I am more than ready to pay back the over-payment, which will only be 1 payment as they pay in arrears and the benefit was suspended, but I was worried about investigations etc. You hear of people being hauled up in front of the police to take statements etc when this really wasn't like that. argh, me and my verbal diaorreah! Feel so stupid blush

lulumama Mon 14-Jul-08 15:40:18

just pay them back as soon as you get a bill from them. you will only get in trouble if you don;t

MarkStretch Mon 14-Jul-08 15:41:16

Just ring them and offer to pay it back. They will normally accept installments.

chel86 Mon 14-Jul-08 15:49:05

Thanks for your advice. My hands are slowing stopping the shaking now!

fiodyl Mon 14-Jul-08 22:04:18

Whats a money manager and why would you pay them money if your income was so low you needed housing benefit?

Ivegotaheadache Tue 15-Jul-08 08:28:11

That's what I was thinking too fiodyl.
Who did the housing benefit go to? Was it to you and you banked the cheque, or did it go straight to the money managers?

It's not hard to manage your own money, and it might save you some money if you stopped using these people as I assume they don't provide their service for free.

I'm wondering how old you are, it's a little strange (IMO) that you use a company like this, it's like getting pocket money from your parents.

You can do the exact same as they do, work out your income and expenditure and put the left over into another account for you to use.
I was thinking that it would be hard to forget that you claim HB but I suppose if you take nothing to do with your own finances then maybe it's not!

Piffle Tue 15-Jul-08 08:30:40

shit money manager imo then

unavailable Tue 15-Jul-08 11:24:14

This doesnt seem to add up. Are you sure you havent left out any crucial information OP?
If you dont outline the situation fully you are likely to get inaccurate advice.

morningpaper Tue 15-Jul-08 11:26:41

There are LOTS of organisations that can provide you with enough finance training to manage your own money - in a day or two.

PLEASE do that, instead of throwing money at this sort of company

Toothyboy Tue 15-Jul-08 19:56:22

Repaying the overpayment does not guarantee they will not take any action against you. They will also want to know how you could afford to buy a house when you have been claiming housing benefit.

fiodyl Wed 16-Jul-08 11:31:48

I was thinking that too toothyboy- income low enough for Housing benefit becomimg income high enough to buy a house in just a few months in the curent financial climate just doesnt add up IMO

Nikkitwotimes Wed 16-Jul-08 13:26:16

erm hold on people. One of my clients who has mental health issues has a money manager as they find it stressful.

Pretty common if you have a cpn.

fiodyl Wed 16-Jul-08 13:29:22

Geting someone to help you with your finances is common yes, but paying someone to claim housing benefit for you while you buy a house is not really is it?

abouteve Wed 16-Jul-08 13:34:41

Its not adding up as you managed to sort out all the bills when you bought the house so why have a 'money manager'.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 16-Jul-08 13:45:24

Out of interest how much is the monthly fee for a money manager ?

That would have been the first thing to go after my 'income dropped dramtically' hmm

But then you can go and afford to buy a house - with a mortage ??

Pay it back !

People in more need than you for housing benefit . angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now