Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Dp made redundant 2 weeks before our wedding, and just after I reduced my hours due to the fact that we thought his job was secure.

(28 Posts)
PanicPants Sat 12-Jul-08 10:23:32

Thats it really, just posting to get it off my chest.

This really is sods law. We spent all year looking at ways I could spend as much time with ds as possible whilst still working as we can't afford me to be a SAHM.

So, as I teach, I've just got a new job, within the same school, covering PPA for 2 days a week. And the school has just hired my replacement for my full time position.

We are getting married in 2 weeks, all the bills need paying for that, and then dp went into work yesterday, called into a meeting, and was back home again by 11am. No job, car has to go back, etc etc.

I know I'm being self pitying, but this time last week, we both had permanent, full time jobs, and now today, between us we have 2 days a week work shock

Think I'm in shock, we didn't see it coming and I've no idea how we'll cope. He works in retail so not many jobs at his level about.

I'm panicing, and we haven't stopped crying.

Do we cancel the wedding? Can we claim any benefits? I don't know what to do.

loopylou6 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:26:12

sympathys PP this has just happened to us sad how long was dh with the company?

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:27:50

I think if you cancel the wedding you may still have to pay anyway? Find out what you can do without at the wedding and alter asap as soon as you can.

Speak to your school, explain the situation and ask if any other work comes up to let you kow.

Get dh to the job centre and signing on urgently do you own or rent your home - go to CAB and find out exactly what you are/will be entitled to.

So sorry this has happened to you.

noddyholder Sat 12-Jul-08 10:28:06

My god that is shocking?sad How long has he been there?Will he get a lump sum or something to help you out with thw wedding?

PanicPants Sat 12-Jul-08 10:29:49

4 years. He's got the car for 3 months, and will be paid next month, and will get a weeks wages for every year he has worked tax free at that time as well. (so 4 weeks wages).

So we are ok for about 2 months. But then my wages go down by 3 quarters, as I've also given up my management money as well as cutting hours.

PanicPants Sat 12-Jul-08 10:31:55

We own our house, but of course have a mortgage. I diodn't think you could claim any benefits if you owned your own house?

loopylou6 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:32:32

I'd look into that, you may be entitled to more of a payoff? My dh was entitled to nothing as he was only there for just short of a year

loopylou6 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:32:53

yes im sure you can

noddyholder Sat 12-Jul-08 10:34:26

You can claim benefits I am sure.Thre is a site entitledto.com i think where you enter your circumstances.Does he work in an industry where it is easy to find a job?

CountessDracula Sat 12-Jul-08 10:35:55

I think you can claim mortgage interest payments after a longish period of time

You poor things, what a horrible thing to happen just before your wedding

Bear in mind that if he is getting redundancy I think it is tax free which should tide you over for a bit longer (ie he will receive the full amount and not have to pay any tax)

Sobernow Sat 12-Jul-08 10:36:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CountessDracula Sat 12-Jul-08 10:36:38

"Redundancy payments up to £30,000 in the course of working for any one company are normally free of tax. Anything above £30,000 is taxed at your highest rate"

CarGirl Sat 12-Jul-08 10:36:47

Do you have any income protection insurance, usually pay out once you've had no work for 6 months I think?

CountessDracula Sat 12-Jul-08 10:40:19

this tells you a bit more about the mortgage payments it looks like after 9 months they will pay all the interest on your mortgage.

Can you switch now to interest only to make your money go further?

upsidedownupsidedown Sat 12-Jul-08 10:42:03

If your ok for 2 months, is there a good chance your dp be able to find a job within that period?

SueW Sat 12-Jul-08 11:34:07

If he hasn't got a job by Sept could you do some supply to get extra money in as he will be at home to do childcare?

I wasi n Derby this week and a few shops were advertising for staff so there is prob a good chance of him picking up some work although not nec at the same level.

Fingers crossed for you both

Littlefish Sat 12-Jul-08 12:03:25

Oh PP - what bad news. Sorry to hear about this.

I know it's not ideal, but as a teacher, you should be able to pick up supply.

Speak to your head teacher and explain. Ask to be considered first for any supply that the school needs to cover courses etc. That way, when your dh gets a new job, you've still got that great 2 day per week PPA job (that the rest of us teachers would kill for!), but you can supplement your income in the meantime by doing supply.

Also, speak to the three most local schools that you like and explain that you're available for supply.

Presumably DH will be able to be with your ds for any of those three days if you do extra supply.

SueW Sat 12-Jul-08 12:16:38

Not that Derby has nec got anythign to do with you - just that at least one sign said 'recruiting nationwide'.

PanicPants Sat 12-Jul-08 12:37:38

Thank you for your support everyone. I had to pop out for my wedding day hair trial at the hairdressers. It's all completely surreal at the moment, dp is just about to go off for his stag do, even though he's so not in the mood for it now.

Yes I am going to speak to the head on Monday at my schol and see if they have anything more for me, failing that I will try to get supply for the 3 days I'm not working from September.

We don't have income protection insurance, as because I'm a teacher, we always thought I'd be safe and that we could always live off the one salary for a bit (this was years ago btw).
It's just typical this has happened as soon as we take such a risk with my job.

We have redone his CV, and he has applied for all the jobs there are on the internet within a 2 hour drive of where we live (he did travel a lot so nothing unusual for him there).

Just sat blubbing to my hairdresser bless her!

PanicPants Sat 12-Jul-08 12:39:08

school

Ihavelayers Sat 12-Jul-08 12:51:37

Hope it all works out ok it happened to us a few months ago and we claimed benefits for a while .
Good luck with the wedding too x

fiodyl Sat 12-Jul-08 19:04:26

ff you are doing at least 16 hours per week in those 2 days you wil be entitled to tax credits and DH wil be able to claim contribution based jobseekers as he has been paying his NI for the past few years- Im prety sure any redundancy wont be taken into account but check with the job centre(esp if there is holiday pay included) Tax creits only takes redundancy over 30k into account.

If you have a mortgage you wont get housing benefit but will be entitled to council ax benefit and of will still get child benefit

I dont know how mu you earn but if you do qualify for tax credits then its likely you wil get the maximum amount which could be £700? a month, more if DS is under 1.
If you are on the maxum you wil also get free prescriptions etc plus healthy start vouchers for milk/fruit.

HTH

ilovemydog Sat 12-Jul-08 19:09:01

Is it worth pursuing how DP lost his job?

fiodyl Sat 12-Jul-08 20:10:24

It could be worth persuing it-Id check out the contracts etc first then maybe talk to CAB if you think somethings not right.

Personally I would have thought that after 4 years they would have to give notice- not just make him redundant on the spot or are they paying him in lieu of notice?

Also when I got made redundant in Feb this year we got one "months" pay for every year we worked there, in my case that was 10 years, plus if you were over 30 an extra months pay for every year past 30 you worked for them. Over 50s had further options where they could take a lower lumpsum in return for starting to receive their pension early.

My point is we recieved all this information about 3-4 months beforehand- a big thick wadge of paper plus option to get an estimate so we all knew what we were getting- has your DH had anything like this?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 12-Jul-08 20:13:11

God sympathies - what a nightmare.

Ditto someone else wrt to switching to interest only mortgage if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now