Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone continuing to pay their NI contributions whilst not in paid employment?

(7 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 03-Feb-05 11:05:49

I've had a letter about this from the Department of Work and Pensions, saying that my state pension may be reduced if I don't keep the contributions up whilst I am at home full time with my children.

I'm just wondering if anyone is keeping up their payments and if so how much they are each month.

Carla Thu 03-Feb-05 11:07:47

OMG WHY???? I thought the govt. paid it for you?????

Ameriscot2005 Thu 03-Feb-05 11:10:34

I thought you didn't have to worry about it while you were in receipt of Child Benefit.

I missed almost 4 years of contributions when I was living abroad, but when I researched it, it seemed that I was allowed closer to 10 years off without it affecting the pension.

butterflymum Thu 03-Feb-05 11:20:48

I always thought this covered women at home bringing up children under 16yrs (but have also had my doubts). Await others thoughts with interest.

iota Thu 03-Feb-05 11:21:51

Puff you should get Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP) if you are in receipt of child benefit - which credits you with contributions

iota Thu 03-Feb-05 11:22:38

aha - butterflymum has got there before me

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 03-Feb-05 11:43:08

Thanks folks, I went into a blind panic when I saw suggested payment of "shortfall" of £360 for the tax year 2002/3!

The HRP reduces the number of qualifying years you need for a full basic state pension by up to 50% apparently and if you were awarded child benefit and if you are not working and your wages are less than £75 a week, HRP covers you.

I've also rung the Inland Revenue on 0845 3000168 for what they call a "pension forecast", just to make sure I am still on track for the full state pension.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now