Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Van not stopping after colliding with friend's car

(4 Posts)
Jampot Wed 09-Jul-08 18:56:48

actually it was my friend's son's car.

He heard a crash outside his house last November and looked out of the window. He saw a van crashing into a few vehicles so went out to put a note on the windscreens of the cars after taking the registration number of the van. Then he found his own car had been damaged. He reported it to the Police but they are unwilling to give driver details to him because of Data Protection. The van was hired but he doesnt even know the hire company. Am I mistaken or is it an offence to not stop/report a collision? Also am I right in thinking that DVLA will provide details of a non-stop driver/owner? Also can he pursue the hire company for the repairs?

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 09-Jul-08 21:37:06

Did he report to his insurers at the time?

Jampot Wed 09-Jul-08 23:03:15

i think so but his excess is something ridiculous like £600 or so

littleducks Wed 09-Jul-08 23:10:58

DVLA will give out reg owner details (they bloody sell them to car park companies fgs) for a fee but in this case wont that just be the hire company
whoo prob cant give out driver details due to data protection unless police ask

prob best to leave to insurance company perhaps he could claim excess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now