Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I work out a pro rata salary?

(12 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Mon 30-Jun-08 15:48:17

I'm applying for p/t jobs at the mo; some of them say exactly what I'd be earning while others give the annual pro rata salary. Is there an equation I can use to find a good estimate of what my actual earnings would be, say on £25k pro rata, for 2 days a week?

TigerFeet Mon 30-Jun-08 15:50:52

25K = 5 days a week

Therefore 2 days a week would be 2/5 of 25K = 10K

It's usually more accurate to work it out by hours rather than days

eg 25K = 40 hours a week

so 15 hours a week would be 15/40 = £9375

Jojay Mon 30-Jun-08 15:52:21

Assuming a full time job is working 5 days a week, divide the salary by 5 to give a daily payment, then multiply it by the number of days you are going to work, ie 2.

£25k pro rata'd for 2 days would be £10k a year

MrsThierryHenry Mon 30-Jun-08 16:00:04

Thanks for this, however my mistake - I should have said that I'm trying to estimate the weekly/ monthly income...

Based on your suggestions, I think this should work:

£25k/5 days = £5k (one day a week)

£5k x 2 days = £10k, as you both said above

So then:

£10k/ 12 months = £833 pcm

I can't believe I have a maths GCSE and am struggling with this! Am I right with this equation?

TigerFeet Mon 30-Jun-08 16:01:50

Yup, that's right

kaz33 Mon 30-Jun-08 16:02:51

And when you have your gross you can use this calculator to calculate your take home pay

www.i-resign.com/uk/financialcentre/tax_calculator.asp

nervousal Mon 30-Jun-08 16:05:27

and then remember to take off tax and any other deductions

TigerFeet Mon 30-Jun-08 16:10:54

As a general rule of thumb, 23% usually covers all your tax and NI although it could be less than that if you aren't earning a F/T salary

so £833 gross would be around £641

MrsThierryHenry Mon 30-Jun-08 16:13:23

Kaz - thanks, what a useful website! At first when I saw the 'I resign' name in the web address I assumed it was a site for disgruntled employees wanting to have a strop at their bosses!

Thanks to all of you for your help; it's quite a minefield working out my work/life balance (ha! as if a balance were possible once you have kids) and you've been really helpful on the money side.

Big kisses to everyone! grin. Hmm...will lobby MNHQ for 'kiss' emoticon!

DanJARMouse Mon 30-Jun-08 16:18:07

how to calculate pro rata pay is

full salary for post times number of weeks you work times number of hours you work in a week divided by 1710 (average anual hrs)divided by 12 for monthly or 52 for weekly minus tax if known

MrsThierryHenry Mon 30-Jun-08 16:21:44

DanJar, that sounds rather complicated but it makes sense. Think I'll try that later on! Thanks!

xx

ruby007 Thu 04-Aug-11 23:13:01

Hi all
Can someone help me please asap?

I have been given a conract for a pro rata job as a teaching assistant.
It is a 40 weeks per year my salary is 14k pro rata it is a 37 hour per week I will get 15days of holiday pay which it is the equivalent to 20 days leave over 52 week period.
I will get 12 equal payments over one calender year.
I would like to know what is pro rata? How do I work out my monthly income and what is my total income for the year.
I have been on the net trying to figer this out seens 9 pm.
I know its late but I have to see my boss 2more so please help thank all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now