Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone got a water meter?

(31 Posts)
Titania Sun 30-Jan-05 19:35:31

We have got a water meter and TBH I am totally dreading our bill.....we use a lot of water even though I try not to. I make all the kids share the bath water and yesterday I did NINE loads of washing and still got a basket full today. Was just wondering what I can expect my water bill to be? I have been putting £25 a month away for it but I am scared this won't be enough. We don't have a dishwasher and I do the dishes when there are enough to warrent filling a bowl for. I do use quite a bit to mop the floor with though. I mop it about twice a day now, so 2 buckets full (was about 4 times a day when first had puppy 6 weeks ago!!!) I don't use a lot for cooking, ie I don't have pans full of veg on the go cos I've got a steamer so that uses less. I don't see where else I can save on water. The kids wear the same clothes for as long as possible. DH is working on a building site ATM so needs jeans washing most days in this wet yucky weather.

What's your water bill like on a meter anyone? This is really starting to worry me. Thanks.

Lonelymum Sun 30-Jan-05 19:38:46

We have one and a dishwasher and I do at least one load of washing every day, sometimes more. My kids have a bath nearly every day but share water so only actually 2 bathfuls IYSWIM. Dh and I shower everyday. I wouldn't say our bill is more than it used to be when we paid water rates TBH - about £200 every six months.

Shimmy21 Sun 30-Jan-05 19:39:31

We've got a meter and like you I was really worried but compared to our previous flat rate bills I think the meter works out about the same or a bit less. We're a family of 4. The boys share a bath and we usually shower but the washing machine is on nearly all the time and the only effort we've seriously made to conserve water is to get a second water butt to do the garden (although didn't have to do that much last summer!)

Lonelymum Sun 30-Jan-05 19:41:29

I did used to be very wasteful though, leaving the tap running as I brushed my teeth etc and I now don't do that. Also, I am a bit of a bore in the summer and am always shouting at my children to turn the hose off in the garden but I am not sure how much difference all these little savings really make. I wouldn't worry about the odd bucket of water if I were you.

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 19:45:19

NINE LOADS OF WASHING IN ONE DAY???? What are they doing with their clothes? I sometimes do 3 in a day, if I haven't done any for a couple of days, but average probably 10 a week! Is it full each time?

A dishwasher uses about 15 litres per load, ie 3 buckets. A washing machine uses 55-60, ie 11-12 buckets. I've no idea how much metered water costs but you really need to cut down on the washing machine - try reading your meter every day for a couple of weeks, work out what your average daily usage is, find out what the charge is per litre (or whatever measurement they use) and then see where you can cut down. Good luck, I don't think families should have to have meters really.

Titania Sun 30-Jan-05 19:46:26

i cant find my water meter though!!!

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 19:48:39

Have you got a phone number for the water company? They should be able to tell you where your meter is (maybe outside?) as well as what their charges are.

Titania Sun 30-Jan-05 19:49:24

yeah they said it was in the path outside.....um..not sure where though....thats all the information they had!!

nutcracker Sun 30-Jan-05 19:56:50

When we moved in here i rang the water company to set up the paymenst and they informed me it was on a meter.

They worked out our monthly payments then on the info from last owners i think and i was really shocked when she said it would only be 15 a month. We used to pay 30 in the flat.

I would ring them back Titania and say you want to pay on a paymeny plan and then they should work out an estimate and you pay that a month.

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 19:59:40

There will probably be a little metal lid thing - like a baby manhole cover - which you can lift and look inside. (Our outside stop-tap is under one of those.) If you still can't find it ask them to send someone to come and show you!

Our water bill is just over £200 a year - that's in an old terraced house, based on old rateable value, not usage.

Furball Sun 30-Jan-05 20:03:30

If you look on the pavement outside your house there should be a small 7" square hinged metal cover, that is where you'll find the water meter. Ours in our present house is under the sink in the kitchen.

Our bill for 2 adults and a 3 yo is about £250/year, we use shower twice everyday, dishwasher evryday, sometimes twice. Washing machine every other day. In the summer DH waters the garden.

fairyfly Sun 30-Jan-05 20:03:48

Mine is 600 a year i think

wordgirl Sun 30-Jan-05 20:05:58

We had a water meter in the house we used to live in because it was a brand new house. We actually found that our bills (for a family of four) were a lot less than the water rates.
When we moved house I chose to have a water meter fitted and our bills are still less (for a family of five) than the rates would be. And I don't think we smell !

kalex Sun 30-Jan-05 20:09:16

Janh. I LOL at you saying phone the water board, they will know where it is, I work for the Leccy, and people phone me all the time and ask where their electric cupboard is. The people that answer the phone don't have a clue where it is!!!

And believe me if they sent someone out they would charge more than the water bill!!!!!

Titania, good hunting.

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 20:11:20

But leccy and gas meters are either inside the house or in one of those lock-up things on the side of the house, surely if water meters are out in the street somewhere they must have a record of where they are? They couldn't read them otherwise!

kalex Sun 30-Jan-05 20:11:41

PS that wasn't mean't horibly, I have just had experience of people phoning saying " I live "xvd" where is my meter" and my thinking, "lets tap into my physhic abilities now"

kalex Sun 30-Jan-05 20:12:34

The meter men in our area have to ask when they come into your home as to where they are!!!

kalex Sun 30-Jan-05 20:13:19

True, Dont have a water meter so shell bow out disgracefully

ButtonMoon Sun 30-Jan-05 20:18:15

Put half a house brick in your cistern and this will cut down on the amount you use each flush....I wouldn't worry too much.....meters are generally better value than paying rates I have found...although I don't do 9 washes a day!!!! goodness I bet your leccy is sky high!!!

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 20:18:22

Oh I know, kalex, I always have to tell them where ours are (and issue a miner's helmet and a pickaxe to the leccy man for digging through the glory hole under the stairs )

Gobbledigook Sun 30-Jan-05 20:32:24

Titania, we have just moved and the house has a meter. I've heard that they are supposed to work out cheaper if you don't use much water (eg if you live alone or just a couple) but this house was Mum and Dad's and they say it's not much different.

We've not had a bill yet so I bloody hope they are right as with 3 kids I also get through mountains of washing - the machine is on every day at least once or twice (not sure about nine!), kids have a bath every night, I'm a SAHM so wash up a fair few times a day....

Will let you know!

lou33 Sun 30-Jan-05 21:06:26

six of us here on a meter and our 6 monthly bill is about £90

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 21:07:46

You let them have a bath once a week though, don't you, lou?

kalex Sun 30-Jan-05 21:08:24

JanH . glad to know your not pissed off...!!

When is your tripp to Perth! Think I could arrange a dinner party with u and Mioua, noe she is on the mainland

JanH Sun 30-Jan-05 21:12:14

I'm not going to Perth [puzzled]! Must be someone else! I would love to come up and meet you and Miaou but it wouldn't be this year - we did talk about maybe going to Muck in the summer but I think we're going to France now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now