Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Utility company offering me a money back - Is this a wind up?

(11 Posts)
milge Fri 27-Jun-08 20:48:03

We swapped electricity companies earlier this year from Eon to Atlantic. Received this letter from Eon today, do you think it is a scam to try and get me to go back to them, or genuine?

"Dear Mr and Mrs Milge

When we used to supply your home with energey, we gave you discounts on your bills. However, we didn't give you a discount on your final bill.

This was because we don't give discounts on final bills when an account is closed, but we feel we should have made this clearer to you at the time. We are sorry and would like to give you £18.54p"
Please call us on 0800 056 6280 so that we can arrange to credit your account.

Yours sincerely

Eon Customer Services"

I have never, not ever, heard of an electricity company ( a) apologising for anything, ever, or (b) giving money away as a goodwill gesture.

Dare I ring up and be scammed?

OsmosisBanana Fri 27-Jun-08 23:57:15

prob not scam.. Utility companies would never offer you money. Unless as a 'money off' wank.

They owe you

Creole Sat 28-Jun-08 10:14:59

Just wondering why they didn't send you a cheque, why a free number to call - strange!

Do call them and claim your money...

Flufffy Thu 03-Jul-08 17:46:10

I wouldn't call that number. Find a different number for Eon instead - just in case.

TwoToTango Thu 03-Jul-08 18:36:20

Telephone numbers for Eon here. Probably trying to get you back.

BTW I'm with Atlantic and the money back each year is v. handy. I've also found their customer servs very helpful.

catinthehat Thu 03-Jul-08 18:37:46

I'm also with Atlantic, can you run the money back thing by me TTT? HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING????????

PinkPurple Thu 03-Jul-08 18:41:27

similar question posed on this forum

TwoToTango Thu 03-Jul-08 18:44:07

I joined them in Nov 06 for both gas and elec. After I had been with them 12 months and made 12 payments by DD I got a cheque equivalent to 1 months payment for gas and the same for elec (payments vary, I think they base the cashback on the average payment over the year).

I thought it was just for the first year they did this but I spoke to them and apparently every year i'll get money back.

How long have you been with them catinthehat?

catinthehat Thu 03-Jul-08 18:46:20

Coolio! Been with them less than a year, and it sort of rings a bell for me, but I sort of expected it to come off the price per unit rather than getting actual cash.Tee hee - Thanks !

TwoToTango Thu 03-Jul-08 18:49:09

It was a nice suprise as I got mine a couple of weeks before Christmas last year - was around £100 altogether.

anotherharrasseddad Thu 10-Jul-08 09:55:27

Hi, I left EON over six months ago and have just had a letter from them stating they would like to give me money. Being highly suspicious I thought it was a scam and rang another eon number - all appears to be above board. There is a cheque on the way. No bank details were asked for just the confirmation of who I was and the address to send the cheque to.
Hope that helps.
Graham

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now