Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits - can I get more while I'm on SSP?

(6 Posts)
spacedonkey Tue 18-Jan-05 16:11:27

I'm already receiving CTC, but for the last 3 months I've been receiving SSP at a rate of £66 per week - does anyone know if I would qualify for more while I'm on a lower income? I've been trying to ring their helpline all day but it's constantly engaged

Freckle Tue 18-Jan-05 16:22:01

CTC is calculated on the income you receive in the preceding tax year, i.e. 2003/2004, for this year. At the end of each tax year, the Inland Revenue look at what you actually earned in that year and adjust your CTC accordingly. So, if during 2004/2005 your income fell, at the end of the year the Inland Revenue should adjust your CTC and any underpayment will be paid as a lump sum.

So I suppose the answer to your question is, yes, but not until the end of the tax year.

This then throws up another problem though. Your CTC for 2005/2006 will be based on this year's income (which, if you return to work, will possibly be lower than next year's), and you may find yourself at the end of 2005/2006 having to pay back an overpayment. Just something to bear in mind.

spacedonkey Tue 18-Jan-05 16:26:14

thanks for that freckle, I suspected as much! I will get onto the benefits advice line instead to see if I qualify for any income support to top up the SSP.

tarantula Tue 18-Jan-05 16:35:50

I think you can get CTC adjusted if your income changes during the year esp if you have a large difference in income. I didnt think it had to wait until the end of the year if you know taht this years income is going to be much less than last years.

spacedonkey Tue 18-Jan-05 16:38:18

I don't know whether it's worth the bother as I'm only going to be on SSP temporarily. I'll see what the benefits people say. I'm in all sorts of trouble already having taken a huge drop in income over the last six months.

KathH Tue 18-Jan-05 18:54:32

i dont know if it helps or not but can give them an estimate of what you expect to earn this year if you think it will be different from the last tax year so if you're on say smp and you know you'll be getting less for so many weeks and you can work out roughly what this will make your annual salary - i dont know how easy this is if you're on ssp as with maternity pay you know you're how much less your getting - iykwim and they can adjust your credits accordingly - obviously any overpayment by them will have to be paid back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: