Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any advice much appreciated......

(11 Posts)
Loobie Sat 15-Jan-05 20:08:58

Last year i took out a credit agreement for a leather sofa in my name ,but the sofa was for my mum.Since then we went on holiday and had a major falling out involving me having to fly home early with my three kids,we no longer speak.Anyway the sofa was a buy now pay in a year deal,it's due to be paid in march this year.You can either pay it all or take on the credit of £65 a month for three years which almost doubles the cost of the sofa.
When we got back from spain,i phoned the company and transfered the direct debit details over to mums bank.She has no job and hasnt since we came back from holidays.
Thing is i dont think she is going to pay the sofa either all at once or the monthly payments and as the credit agreement is in my name i will landed with it while she gets a brand new £1450 leather sofa.
So any advice about what i can do to a,make sure she pays b,getthe sofa back to sell and get some of the money c, anything else anyone else can think of ..............i already have anew sofa so cant even take it for myself.
TIA

jordylass Sat 15-Jan-05 20:11:18

I'm sorry I don't have any financial experience to help with this, but just a few thoughts. Do you have any option to cancel the agreement, if it was HP they will collect the sofa and stop the payments ( I think).

morningpaper Sat 15-Jan-05 20:11:46

Oh no disaster! Do you think she was planning to pay? Did she have any savings or anything or was she just not thinking about it? How crappy for you. I would probably pay it myself (get a cheap loan) and then hassle my mother for the money or suggest ways she can pay me back. Can't think of any other solutions. Can you get any other family members on your side?

Very sorry for you.

Loobie Sun 16-Jan-05 11:04:29

She was intending to pay the sofa at the time yes and i cant get a loan as im a single parent on income support so no-one would give me loan.All the more reason why im worried about this as there's no way i can afford to pay for it.Dont know if i could cancel the agreement wouldnt think so as she's had the sofa for a year now.

aloha Sun 16-Jan-05 11:17:22

Loobie, I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and either talk to your mum or write her a nice polite letter about this. You are obviously extremely worried and you need to know what will happen, and the ONLY way you will find out is to talk to your mum. Yes, you've had a row (presumably about something serious to wreck your previously good relationship like this) but this doesn't mean your mum will expect you to lose out like this. There is a good chance that she has no idea that the amount will be payable soon as the agreement is so old and in your name - so they won't have been corresponding with her. I am perfectly capable of forgetting a year old agreement. Also, I think you have to give her some notice of this debt (due March, you say?) so she can make arrangements herself.
If - and it is a very big IF - she refuses to pay you could go so far as to sue her in the small claims court as by agreeing to repay this amount she has made a contract with you, but I really hope it won't go that far as she is your mum and your children's grandma and you clearly trusted her once.

summ1 Sun 16-Jan-05 16:31:38

The best thing to do IMO would be to tell the credit company, as I know someone who had ordered from my sisters cataloge and they hadnt paid so she told the cataloge company and they dealt with it themselves with the other person, inform the credit company and keep communications going so they are on your side, if you dont inform them they wont know. Good Luck!

Twiglett Sun 16-Jan-05 16:35:37

what aloha said

winnie1 Sun 16-Jan-05 16:45:23

If it is a HP agreement the goods can be collected but charges will incur. Agree with Aloha that you do need to contact your mother about this before you do anything else.

winnie1 Sun 16-Jan-05 16:46:24

Meant to say "charges may incur"

Loobie Mon 17-Jan-05 09:32:29

Well i phoned her last night and she said she is going to be paying the monthly payments,so hopefully she will stick to that and continue making the payments.
We went to spain in july with my 3 kids,my mum and my brother and sister who are 19 and 17,i had a row with my sister 2 days into the holiday,a minor row but mum got involved and pulled a knife out on me in front of my 9 year old autistic son,i then had to book flights home(we had originally come on the coach)for me and my kids costing £400 so this is why we dont speak.
She also knows the sofa is due soon as i sent her a letter they had sent me when we returned from the holiday.Thanks for the advice all of you i can only hope she does in fact keep paying

aloha Mon 17-Jan-05 09:37:19

A knife? Good God, why? It certainly sounds very unpleasant.
Glad that you spoke to her and she will make the payments. It could be a good idea if you could gently persuade her to put it in writing that she will be paying, or to put the agreement in her name - just to cover yourself legally if anything went wrong, though I appreciate that might be tricky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: