Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bl**dy Car! Rant!

(5 Posts)
SeaShells Sat 15-Jan-05 10:45:43

How expensive is it to own a car!!!! Had to put ours in for it's MOT this morning (£35) needed new tyres (£95) last week we had to renew the road tax (£90 for 6m) next week the monthly insurance premium is due (£90) plus the finance payment (£170) not including the fortune spent on petrol and extortionate parking charges, seriously it's ridiculously expensive to have a car! Once we have paid out all the monthly costs for having the car, we can't actually afford to go anywhere in it! Sorry, rant over, just had to get it off my chest!

stitch Sat 15-Jan-05 10:53:46

i agree, a car is a very expensive thing to run. yet the way life is in the south of england, life without it is impossible. literall y undoable. (is that a word?)

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 10:56:37

last year, we spent £200 on having the fuel tank replaced as it was leaking, and £60 on sorting out the exhaust. all in one week. cos we were going on holiday.

we go on holiday. and we have a car crash involving our cavalier with nice new parts on it and a 32 tonne HGV. the bloomin thing was then written off. what a waste of £260.

Surfermum Sat 15-Jan-05 10:59:11

You're both right. I intentionally don't add up how much the cars cost, especially the petrol. Life without both our cars would be undoable. The only thing I do to make the tax a little more tolerable is to buy car tax stamps each month.

morocco Sat 15-Jan-05 11:12:20

snap misdee!
we spent £100 getting stuff fixed for the holiday only to blow a gasket and have to leave the car there for a week while it got fixed, then travel back to Spain to pick it up - try breaking down on new years eve! great fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now