Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DOES ANNUAL LEAVE ACCRUE DURING MATERNITY LEAVE AND IF SO...

(11 Posts)
MrsBigD Thu 13-Jan-05 07:36:06

will I loose it if I decide not to go back to work?

Anybody know? I'm due to go back to work in a few months and probably won't be able to due to child care costs .

Anyhow don't want to ask my boss just yet as I'd like to find some 'impartial' info first

thank you

Freckle Thu 13-Jan-05 07:40:09

During the first 26 weeks of maternity leave, all your statutory and contractual terms continue to apply, so you will be entitled to any holiday/pay accrued during that period. If you take any additional maternity leave, your statutory rights continue to apply, but, if your contract grants you greater holiday entitlement than the statutory minimum, you may not be entitled to this.

If you choose not to go back to work, you should receive payment in lieu of the holiday accrued.

MrsBigD Thu 13-Jan-05 08:57:42

thanks freckle

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 13-Jan-05 09:03:14

I remember I got all my holiday pay at the end of my maternity leave. I had opted for additional maternity leave but at the end of my normal mat leave I decided I was'nt going back so I informed them and they sent me my final pay slip which had all my holiday pay on and a Bonus!

MrsBigD Thu 13-Jan-05 09:47:48

NBG - a bonus!? lucky you. I think my boss will be too upset about me leaving and he makes scooge look generous... but to go back ft he'd have to give me a 10k payrise and that's never going to happen...

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:51:34

i have to take all my AL before my ML (working year is April to April) so if i dont finish my ML before April 1st i lose it (although can carry over 1 wk).

also if i decide not to go back to work i have to pay back all my Mat Pay (they have a choice of Mat pay over ML period or lump sum).

if i decide i dont want to go back to work but i cant afford to pay back Mat pay, i have to go back to work for 3 mths

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 13-Jan-05 09:58:22

It was bonus I was due though. I don't think there are many employers that are generous.
I would go back and make them give you that payrise!!!

MrsBigD Thu 13-Jan-05 10:00:15

LOL only 9 staff altogether so not all that much funding available Also when I got the job he already grudginly gave me 2k more than advertised. He loves my skills etc but not THAT much I think ;)

Gem13 Thu 13-Jan-05 10:05:49

Mine accrued plus I carried over some I hadn't taken (13 days in total). I was working full time before I went on Maternity Leave, had a year off (education!) and returned part-time 2 days a week. I was able to tag on the 13 days as 6.5 weeks holiday at the end of my maternity leave so I went back to work even later. It was great as I wanted to breastfeed DS until he could have cows milk at a year.

Prufrock Fri 14-Jan-05 12:34:54

Nailpolish - you don't have to pay back all your maternity pay - only any extra you get over SMP

nailpolish Fri 14-Jan-05 12:38:16

really??? my boss at work is a bitch. wait til i see her...

thanks prufrock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now