Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how do I find a financial advisor???

(8 Posts)
beachyhead Tue 11-Jan-05 13:47:02

I'm in SE London and all my friends seem to either run their own businesses and have accountants or don't have financial advisors....I just want to chat about pensions, savings, best mortgages, life insurance etc.....

Hulababy Tue 11-Jan-05 13:53:35

IFAs should be listed in the Yellow Pages or Yell.com

gingerbear Tue 11-Jan-05 13:58:43

beware - some IFA's don't charge for their services, but get hefty commissions on the products they sell, always ask how they make their money before you set one on.

Or join Motley Fool or moneysavingexpert.co.uk or moneysupermarket for advice first.

Hulababy Wed 12-Jan-05 09:24:13

gingerbear is right, they do get commission from products. Best if you can get a recommendation first.

tribpot Wed 12-Jan-05 09:45:09

You should be able to find a fee-charging IFA, thus you pay upfront for the advice and you can be surer that the advice you're getting is impartial and not based on which product will net the IFA the most commission!

I'd echo the recommendation for reading The Motley Fool, the recent Fool book A Girl's Best Friend Is Her Money is well worth a look before or instead of seeing an IFA.

tribpot Wed 12-Jan-05 09:45:35

I should say, my dh thinks the book is about how to find a rich husband it isn't though.

romantick Wed 12-Jan-05 09:55:43

often papers like sunday mail etc will point you in right direction for the best deals around ,higest interest rates etc.best performing pensions.many building societys use independent advisors who will find the best thing for you .you are not tied to that building society.it is there interest to find the best deals going

RTKangaMummy Wed 12-Jan-05 10:22:04

The IFA have a website and they will send you all the details of IFA in your area

they also send a voucher so you get first consultation FREE

we went to 2 different ones and they came up with completely different ideas

In the end we wnet with 2nd one because he talked more about WE wanted rather than what he thought he wanted us to have

He looked at the whole picture. IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now