Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

what is the best course of action???

(11 Posts)
pandagirl03 Wed 05-Jan-05 14:50:34

i bought my brand new nissan 24/12/03 from nissan dealership, my tax was running out so i went to get the log book from the car file but it wasn't there!! so i then realised i must not of been sent it so i ring nissan they say they cant help me till the tues coz all staff are on holiday. in the mean time my car runs out of tax. nissan ring me to say they have never had the log book for the car and dont know whats happened to it,but if i take my insurance to them and the fee for tax they will tax it which i did. 2 days later still no tax no one wants to talk to me have been there alot of times now still no answers. i have ran dvla today to see if im the registered keeper of the car they say no i am not. so im paying for a car that is not mine. what do u think the best course of action is for this situation???

sorry its a long thread

littlemissbossy Wed 05-Jan-05 14:52:12

what have the Nissan dealership said? surely they registered the car for you?

pandagirl03 Wed 05-Jan-05 14:54:38

they have said that they pay for a new log book for me. they dont know if it was ever registered in my name because they have said they haven't seen the log book for the car. This was confirmed today when i rang dvla and they have said the car is not registered to me.

littlemissbossy Wed 05-Jan-05 15:02:40

ok, but the dealer would have taxed it before letting you drive it away ?? If it were me, I would write to Nissan asking for this to be sorted out in the next 5/7 days and copy the letter to the dealership and the DVLA (and send the letters recorded delivery). Also, I don't want to worry you, but will this effect your car insurance because officially you're not the registered keeper?

pandagirl03 Wed 05-Jan-05 15:08:11

well im not sure how they tax it, but they are a big dealership probally do it somehow. yeah i thought the insurance would be void.

Snugs Wed 05-Jan-05 15:11:32

Of course the good news is - the DVLA wont be chasing you for the car tax as those documents go to the registered keeper - whoever that is? In the meantime, you are probably insured for 3rd party only (most policies allow you to drive vehicles registered to other people).

Are you paying for the car on finance arranged through the dealership? If so, I would certainly suspend any more payments until this is sorted and the car confirmed as yours.

pandagirl03 Wed 05-Jan-05 15:18:09

yes the car is being paid for on finance.

Snugs Wed 05-Jan-05 15:21:52

Then suspend the payments (cancel direct debit with your bank if need be) and notify the dealership that you have done so. Bet they soon pull their finger out and get it sorted when the cash stops coming in (but obviously dont spend the cash cos they will want it eventually ).

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 15:22:41

this can affect your credit rating so be careful...my sis cancelled her car insurance direct debit and it affected her rating

Snugs Wed 05-Jan-05 15:26:21

?? how it can it affect your credit rating?

I have never heard of it causing a problem. I hate direct debits because you have limited control, but I have cancelled them in the past when I have had problems with various companies. I have found it a very useful way of getting them to get their acts together.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 15:31:19

sorry snugs no idea - though suspect it is to do with not making payments on time???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now