Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

At this rate we'll be homeless in the new year!!!!

(11 Posts)
OnZephyrstdayofXmas Thu 23-Dec-04 20:21:56

DP has just phoned to say he has called the estate agents to let them know that we cant do the rent again this month (only missed last months) as he has just started a new job and it's taking a little while to get going, but we will def be ablew to pay it soon. The estate agent has told him if we dont pay the £1000 for the 2 months he'll start proceedings to kick us out
Someone at dp's work has told him that if we write to the estate agents saying 'further to our conversation I can offer to pay £50 as I am having financial difficulties and will make up the backdated rent asap' then they can't legally throw us out - however I'm not convinced!!! Does anyone know for sure? Also, if they do throw us out what will happen to us?

hercyulelog Thu 23-Dec-04 20:25:09

You need to speak to CAB asap.

FestiveFrex Thu 23-Dec-04 20:26:53

Please don't let this spoil your Christmas. The situation is that you have basically breached your contract by failing to pay the agreed rent at the agreed time. So the landlord (not the estate agent, unless they are authorised to do so by the landlord) is entitled to commence proceedings to have you evicted.

However, such proceedings do take time and it is likely that, by the time the landlord takes such steps, you will be in a position to pay the outstanding amounts. If you are up to date with the rent, even if you haven't paid at the stipulated times, it is highly unlikely that a court would grant an eviction order.

You should be aware, though, that failure to pay the rent on time does entitle the landlord to take action to have you evicted. I'm not aware that an offer to pay a lesser amount is guaranteed to prevent such action as you would still be in breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement.

miranda2 Thu 23-Dec-04 20:26:57

They might start legal proceedings, but are unlikely to get a judge to agree to throw you out if you've written a letter as stated. Also it will take them some time, and if you have in fact started paying the proper rent by the time it comes to court I think you'll be in a very strong position. So don't worry over Christmas, and see the CAB as soon as they open. Might be worth googling for advice??

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Thu 23-Dec-04 20:33:25

Message deleted

MarsselectionboxLady Thu 23-Dec-04 20:35:49

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Zephyr

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Thu 23-Dec-04 20:39:59

Thanks loads guys. Was having a bit of a panic! Thing is, his work have told him that january is the busiest month (he sells windowsetc) so one good sale will put us back on track. I guess my biggest worry was how quickly they could get us out and whether once they start proceedings can they then be stopped by us paying proprly again - as you say wig with an extra bit on top. (Hello again - I must owe you a small fortune by now!!)

The official landlords are a building company who own every house on our side of the street but the estate agents basicall do all their running about for them.

If we had to get rehomed would we have to put all our belongings into storage - basically would we get put in a bedsit or something or would they give us a house because there's 4 of us (something tells me thats wishful thinking!!)

hercyulelog Thu 23-Dec-04 20:47:41

About 5 years ago we were evicted and were put into a really nasty B & B. We had no rent arrears but the landlord wanted to sell. The council said it was very hard to be rehoused if it is your fault eg not paid rent. We were lucky that we were able to borrow money to rent somewhere privately rather then a long wait in a b&b. They contacted our previous addresses to find out why we left as well to make sure we werent making ourselves homeless.

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Thu 23-Dec-04 20:52:17

Message deleted

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Thu 23-Dec-04 21:10:55

there's a truckload of malt on its way over

seriously, thanks

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Thu 23-Dec-04 21:13:09

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now