Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Oh dear, do I need to find myself a solicitor over our rented house?

(2 Posts)
TheCattleWereLowryn Wed 22-Dec-04 08:11:08

I really hope that someone out there knows whether we are in the right or whether we need a solicitor...
Long story, the house that we started renting last week seemed perfect for us. We have a large three piece suite and needed good access into the lounge. This house had aluminium double doors leading into the garden and we thought, excellent we can use these if the interior doors too small.
Anyway we turned up on the day to find that the key to the double doors did not work. We called the letting agent who said that they would call the previous tenants.
They called back to say that the previous tenants had never opened the doors.
Eventually the contacted the landlord (solicitor) who said that the doors hadn't been opened in 30 years and he had not intention of opening them.
Of course we were mad as we needed to get our furniture in. We had never been told that they didn't open and wouldn't have rented the place had we known.

The letting agent sent a locksmith round and the landlord sent a formal letter round saying that the doors had been permanently sealed and if we intended to open them we would have to give him a further £1000 deposit and get a proper company to do it.

Anyway, with a bit of jiggling, wd40 and a knock with a hammer on the hinges, the doors opened. Professionally sealed my arse!
The locksmith said that they had just been locked and then painted over, over the years.

We got our furniture in and have shut the doors again.

Anyway the landlord has sent someone round to photograph the "damage" and today we received the inventory (A week late) that says - Double doors to garden - Sealed shut, no access allowed
Since the letting agent didn't know that these doors didn't open, this is a new addition to the inventory since the last tenants!

Where do we stand if he choses to sue us for opening the doors?

TheCattleWereLowryn Wed 22-Dec-04 08:12:21

Not sure why it created two topics?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now