Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

am i entitled to a refund?

(9 Posts)
nicm Wed 22-Dec-04 01:18:18

hi

bought a scalextric on friday but decided a small toddler type trampoline would be a better option, so went and exchanged it for the trampoline today. went to put it together tonight and the elastic rope snapped before we had got it completely through. anyway, am going to take it back tomorrow, but am not sure the shop will willingly (sp?) give me a refund. am i entitled to this or do i have to accept an exchange or a credit note? not sure i want another trampoline now.

please help. only 3 days shopping left!!!

cab Wed 22-Dec-04 01:23:25

Dunno nicm - but most largish shops will give a refund within 28 days of the sale - ESPECIALLY if the goods are faulty.

tatt Wed 22-Dec-04 04:26:43

if you'd just bought it you'd be entitled to a refund if it was faulty (sale of goods act if you need to quote it). Quess the shop could try to claim it was your fault not a manufacturing defect but I don't think they'd suceed. Not sure what the position is once you've already had an exchange but suspect its still the same. If no-one here knows trading standards might be able to tell you.

kid Wed 22-Dec-04 07:58:10

As the item was faulty, you should be entitled to a refund. But some shops display a notice to say they will only exchange and not refund. If this is the case, then I'm not sure where you stand. Good luck.

merrymarthamoo Wed 22-Dec-04 09:09:48

I think the law is that if it is not fit for the purpose for which it is sold you are entitled to a refund - and it isn't. If you want a refund stand your ground and say you are not willing to risk your child's safety: you have no confidence in the product now. I think that's fair enough. Trading Standards website is good for info. about your legal rights here

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Wed 22-Dec-04 09:11:12

Message deleted

merrymarthamoo Wed 22-Dec-04 09:22:12

See that's what I said - you just made it sound more impressive by putting in dates and stuff !

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Wed 22-Dec-04 09:29:56

Message deleted

nicm Wed 22-Dec-04 22:12:42

hi

thanks everyone. went armed with this info today, went in just before lunch and it was really busy - he couldn't get us out of there quick enough, hardly wanted to know what was wrong with it!! thank you all again. merry christmas. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now