Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

changing name of owner of property

(7 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 21-Dec-04 14:02:16

If a husband and wife have a property in joint names does anyone know how to go about changing it into one of their names (ie removing one of them as the owner) and any idea how much this costs?

otto Tue 21-Dec-04 14:21:33

You would need to do this through a solicitor. There may be stamp duty to pay, depending on the circumstances as well as solicitor's fees.

lisalisa Tue 21-Dec-04 15:09:21

Message withdrawn

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 21-Dec-04 15:11:35

LisaLisa, as a property solicitor can you help on this thread?

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 21-Dec-04 15:12:03

Ah, you've spotted it already!

MrsFogi Tue 21-Dec-04 15:29:57

Thank you so much lisalisa - I just did not know where to start! Should I contact a solicitor or the bank first (the latter I guess to avoid legal fees if the bank does have an objection)?

lisalisa Tue 21-Dec-04 16:09:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: