Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DIRECT DEBITS

(6 Posts)
horseshoe Mon 20-Dec-04 14:24:27

Can anyone help me??

I was recently looking for life insurance quotations for my partner and me....

one broker gave me a quote and with a company and gave me 30days free cover. This was on 17th November.....The paperwork came through.....I had already found a better quote and so I sent back the cancellation form....This is the only thing I signed.

Today I got a letter from the bank saying there were two unpaid DD's on 15th Dec and they were charging me £70 as a result.

I called the bank and even went in to see the manager but have been told both times it's not their problem so I have phoned the company in question. They said I would of received notification of the DD, I haven't and they said they got my Bank details from the broker but i thought I needed to sign something. Also I had 30 free days supposedly from the day i received the policy which was 20th Nov.....why should they take it on the 15th???.

Anyway they said they would look into it but £70 is alot of money just before xmas and it's DD's birtday a few days after Xmas....

Branster Mon 20-Dec-04 17:23:11

1. did the bank charge you for not honouring the direct debits (i.e. not enough money in the account to cover the payments)?
2. have you actually signed a direct debit agreement?
3. have you cancelled the direct debits by writing to the company in question and to your bank prior to the 15th?
4. are the direct debits cancelled today to avoid any surprises?

Sorry, it's not exactly an answer but these are a few sensible questions that the bak or insurer might want to know the answer to in order to start helping you.

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Mon 20-Dec-04 19:31:07

Message deleted

horseshoe Tue 21-Dec-04 09:45:11

ARRGGGHHH,
Thanks for your help everyone

I have just phoned them again, managed to get through to a manager after being put on hold for 15 mins.... They are saying that they sent me details of the DD coming out on the 15th (which I didn't receive) They said that they dont give 30 free days but 30 days to change your mind and they will refund all monies paid....she suggested that the broker misold me.
They told me they wont be doing anything. The broker is denying they said 30 free days!!

Looks like i wont be getting anything back....Is it worth threatening them with the Obudsman???

Santasluckylittlehelper Tue 21-Dec-04 10:19:12

Have a look at this.

Tell the bank that you haven't signed a direct debit mandate (tell them you'd like to see acopy of you signature authorising this payment) and that this is a disputed direct debit. They need to refund you under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme.

IwigitcouldbeXmaseveryday Tue 21-Dec-04 12:52:26

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: