How much have your energy bills gone up?

(87 Posts)
BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 12:08:18

I’ve just looked at my account and noticed that our E.on bill has gone from £60 to £350 in the last two months! I know there has been a massive hike in energy costs but that’s a crippling increase. If this had been last year, I’d have still been on maternity leave and wouldn’t have been able to afford that. We can’t afford it now really but will get by… just.

Has anyone else had similar?

OP’s posts: |
KonTikki Thu 25-Nov-21 12:21:54

I'm on a fixed rate of £110 a month, electricity and gas, until next April.
But expecting a substantial increase after that confused

Mum0509 Thu 25-Nov-21 12:29:44

We were paying 75 a month for both 2 years ago. Then went up to 120 about a year ago. Now 170 per month Bulb are asking. Shocking really.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 13:08:06

Yours are both significantly less than mine is.

Who are you with?

Justanother123 Thu 25-Nov-21 14:10:27

Do you send meter readings regularly? It could be that the £60 wasn’t covering your usage and if they’ve been to take a reading they have to catch up.

MintJulia Thu 25-Nov-21 14:14:42

Mine haven't yet, although they will next April.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 14:50:57

Justanother123

Do you send meter readings regularly? It could be that the £60 wasn’t covering your usage and if they’ve been to take a reading they have to catch up.

DH said something similar. Basically, our direct debit (set up by them!!) wasn’t enough so they’re now charging us a fortune to fix it. They could have at least told us!

Advertisement

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 14:51:24

We have a smart meter

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 14:55:52

BeingATwatItsABingThing

Yours are both significantly less than mine is.

Who are you with?

Is that what you are using or what they are trying to set your direct debit at?

Snoods Thu 25-Nov-21 14:57:06

If we fix again now ours will be double what we are paying now for same usage

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 14:57:55

Did they never send you any statements?
Who are you with?
I'm with Octopus and they ask for a reading every month and then produce a statement showing how much gas/electricity we have used. I can amend my payment up and down depending on my credit/debit balance

VanGoghsDog Thu 25-Nov-21 14:58:20

Mum0509

We were paying 75 a month for both 2 years ago. Then went up to 120 about a year ago. Now 170 per month Bulb are asking. Shocking really.

Bulb have gone bust.

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 14:58:33

Snoods

If we fix again now ours will be double what we are paying now for same usage

No point fixing as the price cap on standard variable will be less than a fixed price

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 14:59:05

I have no idea. I doubt it and I really hope not!

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 25-Nov-21 14:59:50

dementedpixie

Did they never send you any statements?
Who are you with?
I'm with Octopus and they ask for a reading every month and then produce a statement showing how much gas/electricity we have used. I can amend my payment up and down depending on my credit/debit balance

They do but it’s all paperless and the account is in DH’s name.

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 15:01:09

You need to look at any statements and see what your balance is at and how much in debit you are and whether £350 is too much for what you owe

SirensofTitan Thu 25-Nov-21 15:01:37

KonTikki

I'm on a fixed rate of £110 a month, electricity and gas, until next April.
But expecting a substantial increase after that confused

You are paying a fixed amount of ££ per month but be aware that isn't the same as the amount you are using. When you send in your actual readings you'l find out how much you have under or overpaid

Needspace21 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:03:37

Mine has gone up by over 50% so has my parents!

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 15:04:08

Without the details on the statement you won't know if £350 is OTT or whether you are hugely in debit to them. How long have you been paying the lower amount? We are using about £110 per month gas/electric but that will increase as it gets colder and also after my fixed rate ends in January. I currently pay £100 per month as we have a credit balance

sanityisamyth Thu 25-Nov-21 15:05:18

Mine went from £33 to £135 2 years ago when I used the electric heaters. Been paying £55 for a year or so. My tariff ends at the end of this month. Next cheapest is £66 but I've put it back down to £55 as I'm over £200 in credit.

SirensofTitan Thu 25-Nov-21 15:07:10

sanityisamyth

Mine went from £33 to £135 2 years ago when I used the electric heaters. Been paying £55 for a year or so. My tariff ends at the end of this month. Next cheapest is £66 but I've put it back down to £55 as I'm over £200 in credit.

The advice from everywhere is not to take a fixed rate at the moment, have you managed to find one that is cheaper than the variable rate?

VanGoghsDog Thu 25-Nov-21 15:08:26

Mine is bewildering.

I pay £67pm, they say I'll use c£600pa each of gas and electric, yet despite not paying a twelfth of that, I seem to be in credit (not by much), they have fairly recent readings.

I've raised a complaint with them as they are logging my current electricity use under an old meter so it can't be worked out correctly. Despite saying they respond to complaints in two days I've not heard a word from them and it's been three weeks.
Five more weeks and I can go to the ombudsman.

dementedpixie Thu 25-Nov-21 15:08:41

I've just checked my last readings and used closer to £125 last month. I still have a large credit balance so still paying £100 per month

delilahbucket Thu 25-Nov-21 15:10:16

Our direct debit hasn't actually changed. We have a predicted increase of £12 per month based on our usage but we are in credit, enough to cover that increase for 17 months. We've been on a variable rate for years as it has always been the cheapest option for us. We have a smart electric meter and give a monthly gas reading. We're with Octopus.

YodaiamsaidI Thu 25-Nov-21 15:15:10

They wanted me to go from £62 a month to £249,I told them there was no chance of me affording that,so we bundle up and use our heating as little as possible,was with green Network energy then was carried over to edf when they went bust.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in