Brother Died, Bitcoin Access

(107 Posts)
Imsupposedtobeworking Sat 12-Jun-21 09:10:38

My Family and I are in an awful position and hoping to find someone with experience in bitcoin. My brother had an unexpected serious brain trauma in his late thirties, rendering him completely paralysed with locked in syndrome. this left him with only the ability to move his eyes as form of communication. This happened whilst he was travelling on another continent, without adequate insurance. Many generous people and friends of my brother donated towards a fund to get him home. The donations were very generous, but not enough to pay all of my brothers bills + the cost of medically transporting him. My sibling and I ended up donating a chunk of both our individual savings and my mum remortagaged the house she had literally just paid off after decades a few months previously. Happily we managed to get him home and he spent the last three years of his life here before unexpecedly passing away this year. My Mum is over 70 and now working two night shifts a week in order to pay off this mortgage, this is not conducive to her health and my sibling and I help where we can but cant afford to pay off her mortgage. My brother had invested in bitcoins but refused to provide details in order to access this cash to help pay his medical bills / contribute towards my mums mortgage. I cannot judge my brother for this as his finances were the only part of his life that he had any autonomy over following his stroke. However, I would like my mother to no longer have to work at her age and after all she has been through with my brothers illness. He may have nothing saved in bitcoin, or he may have saved enough to help my mum pay off the mortgage she took out to get him home and also help towards his funeral costs - we just dont know. Does anyone here have insight into how a Bitcoin account can be accessed by next of kin?

OP’s posts: |
fromdownwest Sat 12-Jun-21 09:51:16

Unless you have the password to his wallet then you have zero chance.
Unless you can guess a random 12 word reset password - which is impossible.
Then sadly the are totally inaccessible

TheQueef Sat 12-Jun-21 09:54:22

Sorry for your loss.
Do you even have his virtual wallet?
Bitcoin isn't stored in an account in the way existing currency is.

chillibeansauce Sat 12-Jun-21 09:59:23

My mum has codes but we have no idea what these are for. Can you even contact Bitcoin directly ?

TheQueef Sat 12-Jun-21 10:05:13

No there isn't a 'Bitcoin' place in the traditional sense.

There will be a virtual wallet (an app possibly) where his Bitcoin are stored or he could have an account at an exchange.

Unless you locate his actual Bitcoin (wallet or account) you won't know. There isn't a central register or Bitcoin company.

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:10:18

fromdownwest

Unless you have the password to his wallet then you have zero chance.
Unless you can guess a random 12 word reset password - which is impossible.
Then sadly the are totally inaccessible

Be SO CAREFUL what you disclose in the thread. So sorry to hear your story.

Please, do not disclose anymore, if you have the codes. You can get access. Is there a mod or admin who can oversee the posting of links.

Again, you have not lost it. You have 3 houses, and 1 key as an analogy. 1 key, you enter. I hope this makes sense.

Do not disclose specifics in private message to be safe.

HollowTalk Sat 12-Jun-21 10:15:22

@esme333 do you really think the OP is going to post private passwords on here?

Advertisement

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:19:23

Well I could answer that in full, but it would be a pretty stupid thing to do considering a target placed on the back would get about 1,000 bigger.

FYI, i care not for your opinion, i care to safeguard and help. Now, unless you know about bitcoin, blockchain, SHA256, hash, nodes, ip masquerade, etc etc etc - Then you really have no use here.

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:21:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NautaOcts Sat 12-Jun-21 10:24:50

This sounds really hard
And is also an example of one of the downsides of Bitcoin that I hadn’t thought about. With any other investment or bank you would be granted probate and eventually able to access the deceased’s funds and assets. But I guess with Bitcoin unless the person stored the codes somewhere secure yet accessible after their death (not even sure where that would be!) it’s probably lost forever.

fromdownwest Sat 12-Jun-21 10:26:53

If you do have the 12 word reset then you can reclaim the wallet via a wallet such as exodus.
Google how to restore wallet with passwords.
I would however be conscious that it forms part of his estate, and as such is not actually yours until probate is passed

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:28:08

fromdownwest

If you do have the 12 word reset then you can reclaim the wallet via a wallet such as exodus.
Google how to restore wallet with passwords.
I would however be conscious that it forms part of his estate, and as such is not actually yours until probate is passed

Well, there goes opsec lmao.

TheQueef Sat 12-Jun-21 10:29:34

Why would a hypothetical question compromise operational security Esme?

Dollywilde Sat 12-Jun-21 10:29:36

NautaOcts

This sounds really hard
And is also an example of one of the downsides of Bitcoin that I hadn’t thought about. With any other investment or bank you would be granted probate and eventually able to access the deceased’s funds and assets. But I guess with Bitcoin unless the person stored the codes somewhere secure yet accessible after their death (not even sure where that would be!) it’s probably lost forever.

Digital estate planning is a massive area of growth and really interesting (I work in a related area)

SoupDragon Sat 12-Jun-21 10:31:15

Well, there goes opsec lmao.

How exactly?

DancesWithDaffodils Sat 12-Jun-21 10:31:30

Do you know where it is stored?
It may not be the case everywhere, but here is one example of access for the executors of a will.

titchy Sat 12-Jun-21 10:32:01

OP just to note esme333 is a brand new poster. If he/she PMs you offering to help, I'd strongly suggest you ignore it. thanks

Dyrne Sat 12-Jun-21 10:32:19

Do you know how he held his Bitcoin? There are a few different ways he could have invested - if he held them within an account on something like eToro or Coinbase you may be able to get access to his account, but sadly if he held it within a wallet then unless you have the password then it’s incredibly unlikely you’ll be able to access it.

I have to say I really admire you for your attitude towards your brother - I’m honestly not sure I could be so generous or forgiving if I were in your position.

GreenBinLid Sat 12-Jun-21 10:33:38

@esme333

Moss is that you?

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:33:46

The fact you ask why, demonstrates lack of understanding, otherwise the use of'why' and 'hypothetical' wouldn't be used.

Operationally, asking a question to gain an answer, to a hypothesis, really means you can't identify where the risk is in the OP post.

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:34:27

I was the first to say, not to message in private!!! So do not slander me

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:35:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheQueef Sat 12-Jun-21 10:37:39

Ah I see.
You meant persec (personal security)
There is no Operation to secure.
And slander means spoken not written.

4chan offline?

Poorlykitten Sat 12-Jun-21 10:39:06

@esme333 okay hun? 😂😳

esme333 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:40:11

It depends how you view it and what purpose it serves, to consider this problem to be an operational one. Opsec, is an umbrella term. So persec, if it fits nicely with you, can be referenced for ease of any distress my good friend.

4chan, nope. Just, no

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in