When do I put universal claim in - assessment periods

(10 Posts)
lazylockdowner Fri 11-Jun-21 11:42:32

My circumstances are changing and I will be giving up my job to become a carer so will need to switch from tax credits to universal

My last working day will be 9th July and I will get paid 30 th July though will be one and a half weeks money and any holiday owed etc.

Can't get my head around the assessment periods and what day I need to stop my tax credits and put claim in, worried about not being able to pay bills until it's sorted

OP’s posts: |
Babyroobs Fri 11-Jun-21 14:52:45

I would wait until you have been paid any holiday pay if it's going to be a significant amount, then make the claim a couple of days after that has been paid.
Any earnings in your assessment period are used to calculate your Uc payment seven days after the last day.
Are you sure you will be better off on UC, have you had a benefit check ? Do you have rent to pay?

lazylockdowner Fri 11-Jun-21 15:39:58

Yes I have rent to pay looks like I will only be about 40 a week worst off and I won't be killing myself trying to work full time as well as doing my caring duties.

I'm single
I have 3 children
Rent 600 a month
Plus one 18 year old on enchanted pip

I make it that I will get about
1638 Universal
292 carers
212 child benefits according to entitled to

lazylockdowner Fri 11-Jun-21 15:45:23

I currently get 930 wages and 1200 tax credits/child benefits

Babyroobs Fri 11-Jun-21 18:27:54

lazylockdowner

Yes I have rent to pay looks like I will only be about 40 a week worst off and I won't be killing myself trying to work full time as well as doing my caring duties.

I'm single
I have 3 children
Rent 600 a month
Plus one 18 year old on enchanted pip

I make it that I will get about
1638 Universal
292 carers
212 child benefits according to entitled to

Are you aware that carers allowance is deducted pound for pound from UC. Not sure whether you have factored that into the calculation.

lazylockdowner Fri 11-Jun-21 18:58:02

Yes that was on the breakdown but added on is also the carers element

lazylockdowner Fri 11-Jun-21 18:59:32

Does this all look right

Advertisement

Babyroobs Fri 11-Jun-21 19:11:28

lazylockdowner

Does this all look right

Depending what rate of PIP your disabled child receives then you would also have a disabled child element on the Uc claim until he drops off your claim so that would make it more.
If you are in private rented accomodation then the amount of rent element you get will depend on the local housing allowance for your area, I presume the calculator asks you for a postcode.
You need to be aware that at the end of september the single person standard element will drop to £324.84 as the covid uplift is set to end unless the government changes their mind.

Babyroobs Fri 11-Jun-21 19:13:27

were all the children born before april 2017 ?

Babyroobs Fri 11-Jun-21 19:16:59

So as your 18 year old is receiving enhanced rates of PIP, there should be a disabled child element on there as well of around £400. Obviously if he leaves education and starts to claim Uc himself you will lose that and one child element but will keep the carers element on the claim, but for now it would be £400 higher, no benefit cap due to having a disabled child.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in