Disability/Severe Disability Premium UC

(17 Posts)
NoProblem123 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:16:20

I’ve just been told that my 18 year old child will only get the basic UC and possibly the premium for £74 per week, but not the severe disability premium because she doesn’t live independently- does this sound correct ?

Also that she probably won’t get the £20 increase.

She will never have meaningful work so will get about £344 every month. Obviously I would cancel child benefit and CTC which comes to £270 at the moment.

How are they meant to live on that ?

OP’s posts: |
Bagelsandbrie Wed 09-Jun-21 16:20:27

I am not an expert by any means but isn’t there esa to claim as well? I am on a dla and pip forum (my son gets dla, he’s 9 and I get PIP) and I see quite a few people suggest esa as well.

Saladd0dger Wed 09-Jun-21 16:26:40

Hi no that’s not right. My nice gets universal credit, new style esa & pip. Start handing in sick notes if you haven’t already to get the new style esa. Join Facebook group universal credit essentials a registered charity they are fantastic at advising

Mbear Wed 09-Jun-21 17:24:21

New style ESA is contributions based, so she would not be eligible for that.
Your daughter would get UC and if she is not well enough to work then she would need to get fit notes from the GP. From that she would have a work capability assessment and if she is found Low capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then there would be an extra amount paid to her each month. Please note if she is found just LCW there is no extra amount paid.
None of that is impacted by living alone or not.
There is a disability premium that was paid on the old style legacy benefits (not sure if it is payable on new UC claims at all) however you are correct, this has only ever been payable when there is no other adult in the house, so if she lives at home with you she would not get that.
I’m not sure on what you mean by the extra £20? Last year UC was increased due to the pandemic. I’m not sure if this has now gone down or not. It was legacy benefits that did not get the same uplift.
Does she get DLA or PIP? That would be extra money. And yes, she can only make any claim to UC once the benefits you get for her stop.

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 20:48:16

NoProblem123

I’ve just been told that my 18 year old child will only get the basic UC and possibly the premium for £74 per week, but not the severe disability premium because she doesn’t live independently- does this sound correct ?

Also that she probably won’t get the £20 increase.

She will never have meaningful work so will get about £344 every month. Obviously I would cancel child benefit and CTC which comes to £270 at the moment.

How are they meant to live on that ?

No she will need to hand in sick notes and wait to have a Uc work capability assessment. If/ when she is awarded LCWRA ( Limited capability for work and work related activity) then she will get an extra £342 a month on her Uc claim. It will not be paid for the first 3 months of her Uc claim. Does she claim PIP ?

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 20:49:27

The £20 a week covid increase ends at the end of September. I do not know whether it is still being paid for new claims.

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 20:50:52

Saladd0dger

Hi no that’s not right. My nice gets universal credit, new style esa & pip. Start handing in sick notes if you haven’t already to get the new style esa. Join Facebook group universal credit essentials a registered charity they are fantastic at advising

Op's daughter will not get new style ESA becaue that is a contributions based benefit and she hasn't worked. Even if she did qualify for that it is deducted from Uc anyway. I think you are thinking about the LCWRA element of Uc which is not part of new style ESA.

Advertisement

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 20:53:15

Sorry I just realised I didn't make it clear in my first post - once she has handed in sick notes and been assessed she will get standard Uc element and LCWRA element ( assuming she is awarded this) of £342 so £687 per month, with the LCWRA ( if awarded ) backdated to the fourth Uc assessment period after she started handing in sick notes.

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 21:00:52

I should also warn you that in reality people are rarely assessed ( if she needs an assessment) within the 3 months so it can take months for an assessment then the extra is backdated. In some areas there are huge backlogs at the moment with people waiting months for assessments which haven't been able to be done face to face during covid. So I would brace yourself for her only getting the £344 for some time and for it then to hopefully increase. When she is sent the medical questionnaire to complete make sure you send as many medical reports etc detailing her disabilities, then hopefully it can be awarded by a papaer based assessment which may be done quicker.

LakieLady Wed 09-Jun-21 21:03:28

There are no disability premiums in UC. Even if she was on legacy benefits, she wouldn't get the severe disability premium because she lives in a household with another adult who doesn't get PIP.

If she gets awarded LCWWRA, she'll get an additional £343 a month.

LakieLady Wed 09-Jun-21 21:05:37

Babyroobs

I should also warn you that in reality people are rarely assessed ( if she needs an assessment) within the 3 months so it can take months for an assessment then the extra is backdated. In some areas there are huge backlogs at the moment with people waiting months for assessments which haven't been able to be done face to face during covid. So I would brace yourself for her only getting the £344 for some time and for it then to hopefully increase. When she is sent the medical questionnaire to complete make sure you send as many medical reports etc detailing her disabilities, then hopefully it can be awarded by a papaer based assessment which may be done quicker.

We're finding clients are waiting 6 months and more for assessments atm.

PIP assessments are being done much more quickly.

Teenageromance Wed 09-Jun-21 21:12:03

My son has just Ben awarded LCWRA today. His first claim for UC (with a sick note) was in October. When would the payments be backdated to

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 21:18:50

Teenageromance

My son has just Ben awarded LCWRA today. His first claim for UC (with a sick note) was in October. When would the payments be backdated to

backdated to the fourth Uc assessment period after he started handing in sick notes, so maybe from jan/ feb time depending on assessment period dates.

NoProblem123 Wed 09-Jun-21 22:26:56

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

And yes enhanced PiP, currently doing life skills in college, never worked, unlikely to ever work.

@Babyroobs by the sound of it I should definitely stop my CTC claim & CB claim so she can have a UC claim in her own name even if it was just basic level ?

Then get a note from GP - Does it have to be GP though ? She hasn’t been to drs for years, just hospital consultants - could her consultant do it ?

And if she gets one, that triggers an assessment of some form which can (eventually!) give her a premium to £344 or a severe premium to £687 - is that right ? Is that the same while she stays living with me as she’ll never live independently?
How often do I need to submit a note on her behalf ?

Questions questions !

Babyroobs Wed 09-Jun-21 22:39:23

NoProblem123

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

And yes enhanced PiP, currently doing life skills in college, never worked, unlikely to ever work.

@Babyroobs by the sound of it I should definitely stop my CTC claim & CB claim so she can have a UC claim in her own name even if it was just basic level ?

Then get a note from GP - Does it have to be GP though ? She hasn’t been to drs for years, just hospital consultants - could her consultant do it ?

And if she gets one, that triggers an assessment of some form which can (eventually!) give her a premium to £344 or a severe premium to £687 - is that right ? Is that the same while she stays living with me as she’ll never live independently?
How often do I need to submit a note on her behalf ?

Questions questions !

I'm not sure if she can make her own Uc claim if she is still in education and on your tax credits claim.
If/ when she makes a Uc claim she will start off with the basic standard under 25 element of £344 per month and then once assessed which can take some time, she can be awarded LCWRA which would be an additional £343 per month on top of the basic £344.
Whilst waiting to be assessed she would have the £344 basic UC and over £600 every 4 weeks in PIP, so £950 in total - PIp is not affected by claiming UC.
You would need to continually hand in sick notes until she has been assessed and had a decision and been told she no longer needs to hand them in.
When you make the Uc claim on her behalf then you need to declare her health condition on the medical section of the initial application, they should send you a link to upload a sick note. UC is all managed via an online journal.

NoProblem123 Wed 09-Jun-21 22:47:24

@Babyroobs thank you so much 😊

Doyouwantanothercuppa Wed 09-Jun-21 22:48:52

If you call the GP surgery and ask the GP to review her medical history and issue a Fit Note (also called a Med3 form) they should be able to do that without seeing her in person.
I think the first Fit Note would be accepted for 3 months. You would need to request a new Fit Note after that runs out. After her WCA Fit Noted are no longer needed.
If your daughter is unable to manage her own benefit claim you may wish to become her appointee. You will need to call UC and they will arrange this for you (you will probably need to be interviewed over the phone to establish why your daughter needs an appointee, and to explain the responsibilities of the role to you)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in