Mortgage advisors/brokers

(21 Posts)
Thunderpunt Tue 01-Jun-21 23:07:33

Do these people charge a fee for their services? We have been put in touch with one via our estate agent, and just went through some preliminary stuff with her. She said her fees are £595 and I was a bit taken aback. It's been 18 years since we last bought a house and iirc the advisor we used didn't charge us as his commission came out of the lenders side of things. Wondering if things have changed since then, and if the price she has quoted is reasonably nowadays?

OP’s posts: |
Thunderpunt Wed 02-Jun-21 10:39:55

Bumping for some traffic

sundayistheday Wed 02-Jun-21 10:43:09

No they shouldn't as you say. Go elsewhere

Pinkbrush Wed 02-Jun-21 10:46:02

Some do, but a lot don’t. I have a free one through work, but bumping for you as i’m sure lots of people can offer advice. The property thread may also get you more responses.

ConfessionsOfAChocoholic Wed 02-Jun-21 13:03:21

As a pp said, some do, some don't. The ones that do tend to be independents and will offer a more personalised service as their fee is dependent on you getting a mortgage. Bigger companies may not keep you as involved in the process.

London & Country are a free mortgage broker, and from what I read, they are good for simple cases. If you have any unusual circumstances then they may not be that good.

We used a smaller fee free broker. We got a mortgage, but it was a pretty hands off service and I did have to do a lot of chasing for updates.

You want to look for a whole of market broker, this means they have access to all mortgage providers, and won't steer you to a preferred client or one that is offering them the best commission.

Thunderpunt Wed 02-Jun-21 16:08:50

Thanks all -
Much appreciated

Outnumbered99 Wed 02-Jun-21 16:40:27

I work for a whole of market broker that doesn't charge a fee, and i know of a few other firms in our town that work on the same basis (none of us have the advertising budget of L&C sadly).
There are also other brokers around us that frequently charge up to £1000... how they get custom I do not know.

Advertisement

SpideyMom Wed 02-Jun-21 21:40:49

I've used London and Country before and though they were very good unfortunately I was quite a complex case due to how my income is made up (salary, tax credits and maintenance) so they didn't successfully secure me a new mortgage elsewhere and I had to stay with my current lender at a slightly higher rate. That was 5 years ago and am due to remortgage again. Due to how demoralising I found it and being told I couldn't afford a lower mortgage payment than what I was already paying, I'm not going through it again and will stay with who I'm with and hopefully fix myself into a better rate with them. My circumstances haven't changed at all so I really dont see the point.

Most my colleagues at work use a fee paying broker and they swear by them. I simply couldn't afford one so used a free one instead.

Good luck

BarbaraofSeville Thu 03-Jun-21 04:09:52

For a mortgage broker to be worth paying, they'd either have to get you a better deal than what you could secure yourself via a comparison site, with a free broker or going direct to the lender or if you're a special case due to affordability, credit history or self employment etc as they should have knowledge about which lenders will accept you.

The last time I used a broker, it was either John charcol or L&C and they completely ignored what I asked for and recommended a product that would have cost us thousands more than what I sorted out myself direct with the lender so I can't recommend and something to watch out for.

As always, see what Moneysaving expert says about remortgaging and use moneysupermarket to get a starting point of what products are available so if you talk to a broker, you'll know what they have to beat to get your business.

But I'd always be suspicious about estate agent recommended mortgage brokers especially if they try to also sell you a pile of insurance products on top.

AndWhat Sat 05-Jun-21 21:25:32

I used a local independent who charged £500. The mortgage he found me had £500 cash back on completion and I didn’t pay him till it completed so he was effectively free.
The deal he got me was with a broker only lender.

GoinSouth Thu 10-Jun-21 21:48:27

Do mortgage brokers/lenders vary on where they're located i.e. if you use one in London are they going to be more expensive (if they charge fees, that is), than say one in Scotland?

SpeakingFranglais Fri 11-Jun-21 06:18:38

We got one for DD for her first house, it was £595 but he was worth his weight in gold. Ours was a complicated case as it included a large gift, an income that wasn’t quite large enough for the loan as most banks wouldn’t include the shift allowances that many NHS workers are guaranteed.

He managed to get us viewings of houses when the estate agents wanted loads of financial information before even looking and got us the right house for the right price that went to full and final. He also got us a rate lower than available on the high street.

DS was an easy case, we didn’t bother with one. He applied direct Nationwide and was approved.

Depends on circumstances.

userchange7643 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:41:36

I won't pay for a broker, even if I was an especially complicated case I know I can find a broker without a fee easily enough. Gone are the days they find you rates that are cheaper than you can get directly, so I really just don't see the point. Our last ("free") broker was great, very pleased with him, but did he do anything I couldn't have done directly with the bank? Nope. So for that reason I just couldn't justify paying for the service, I find mortgages quite straight forward.

user1471475134 Thu 17-Jun-21 19:06:01

Would you expect a painter to paint your house for free as long as you provided the paint?

namechange6754 Thu 17-Jun-21 21:19:50

@user1471475134 if the shop who provided the paint paid the painter to do it as part of the contract to sell me the paint, sure. No fee brokers don't work for free.

PawsQueen Mon 21-Jun-21 16:12:15

I'm paying £2500! Very complex case though and adverse credit

ifadirect Fri 25-Jun-21 11:06:32

There is no such thing as a fee free mortgage. If it is only £595 that is very reasonable. Mortgage brokers get paid Procuration fees by most mortgage providers. So is the £595 it or is it that plus the proc fee. or is the fee replacing the proc fee ?

A good broker will save you money. The chances of you finding the best deal available are low!

SpideyMom Fri 25-Jun-21 12:14:50

Really? I have just been approved for a mortgage that is fee free. It is also the exact same rate that L&C could get for me too. The only fee I am having to pay is the electronic transfer fee

ifadirect Fri 25-Jun-21 13:52:49

well done

user9086336 Sun 27-Jun-21 20:29:23

A good broker will save you money. The chances of you finding the best deal available are low!

This is very outdated advice, it just simply isn't true these days. We've been to a broker a few times and each time the rate has been the same as what was available directly.

SpideyMom Sun 27-Jun-21 20:49:25

This was my experience too recently. The rate I got was the same rate the comparison sites were telling me was exclusive to brokers. I also spoke to a broker too and they couldn't better it without a £1500 booking fee. In the end I applied direct to a lender and was offered my mortgage within 48 hours. Mine was a very straightforward switch though

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in