zara's hard line on returns

(25 Posts)
Hazytown Tue 01-Jun-21 16:55:08

For any return, including an alleged fault, you need proof of purchase. Otherwise the retailer has no proof that you didn't buy it third-hand off eBay two years ago.

IIRC the Sale of Goods Act (or the more recent update) says that a credit card or bank statement is acceptable as proof of purchase. However I'm afraid I don't know what the next step would be, in practice, if a retailer refused to accept this.

I'm trying to get a refund or exchange from Zara for my daughter, who bought a dress that's the wrong size.

I have proof of purchase in the form of a Bank Statement. The item is unworn and complete with tags. However, Zara customer services say they don't recognise any form of proof of purchase other than a receipt.

Covid meant the changing rooms were closed, so she couldn't try on her new dress and she says the receipt came out of the bag in high winds and blew away.

Zara seems to be taking a very hard line, considering Covid an' all. But I'm wondering whether they on a firm legal footing to accept only a receipt as proof of purchase.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks RB

OP’s posts: |
Hazytown Tue 01-Jun-21 16:56:32

I'm trying to get a refund or exchange from Zara for my daughter, who bought a dress that's the wrong size.

I have proof of purchase in the form of a Bank Statement. The item is unworn and complete with tags. However, Zara customer services say they don't recognise any form of proof of purchase other than a receipt.

Covid meant the changing rooms were closed, so she couldn't try on her new dress and she says the receipt came out of the bag in high winds and blew away.

Zara seems to be taking a very hard line, considering Covid an' all. But I'm wondering whether they on a firm legal footing to accept only a receipt as proof of purchase.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks RB

Doublevacc Tue 01-Jun-21 16:57:35

Seems fair enough really.

Lazypuppy Tue 01-Jun-21 16:59:25

Bank statement is only proof you spent money there, not the item.

Legally they only habe to give you a refund if faulty if purchased in store

Leonardsgirl Tue 01-Jun-21 16:59:34

When did she buy it?

JSL52 Tue 01-Jun-21 16:59:49

Good luck with that, Zara staff are renowned for their horrendous 'customer service'.

I've had one member of staff be polite to me once ever.

Theunamedcat Tue 01-Jun-21 17:00:39

Is there a number on the transaction? They can track the receipt

Advertisement

greymayday Tue 01-Jun-21 17:04:03

Happened to DD and she ended up having to just sell on the item on Depop. Would that be an option for you? She managed to get pretty much the RRP - Zara stuff sells on quickly for a pretty decent price.

icelollycraving Tue 01-Jun-21 17:09:42

They are known for taking a hard stance on returns. A bank statement just shows the amount not the item. If it’s faulty, that may be ok. If it’s just not suitable or changed your mind, unlikely.

cariadlet Tue 01-Jun-21 17:09:50

Unfortunately, stores only have to give refunds if an item is faulty. It seems really harsh not to give a refund for the wrong size when customers are unable to try clothes on , but they aren't legally obliged to.

This is where it pays to buy online as you have a legal cooling off period and it's easier to return clothes.

Ostara212 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:11:34

Lazypuppy

Bank statement is only proof you spent money there, not the item.

Legally they only habe to give you a refund if faulty if purchased in store

That was my understanding.

icelollycraving Tue 01-Jun-21 17:11:47

Plus, no retailer is obliged to give an exchange or refund without a receipt and you change your mind. If you get nowhere, probably easier to sell on.

HotChocolateLover Tue 01-Jun-21 17:12:46

That’s so mean, there’s no need for it. When DH had a problem with some shoes he’d bought in Slaters, the manager spent ages looking up the transaction (as we didn’t have the receipt) and then was happy to replace them. Funnily enough, that was where we always used to buy DH’s work suits pre-Covid 😝

Josiemac93 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:15:46

A bank statement is not proof of purchase. I work in retail and we'd never accept a bank statement. You could have bought literally anything from there.

CarlottaValdez Tue 01-Jun-21 17:18:04

John Lewis accepted a bank statement from me as proof. It was a faulty item though and quite a lot of money and the amount matched exactly.

alexdgr8 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:18:48

no go i'm afraid.
it's a lesson learned for your daughter.
she should put receipts into her wallet safely before she leaves the shop. actually it's good for youngsters to learn the realities of life.
they certainly will not bother themselves to try to track the purchase.
why should they. it's not their policy to be nicey-nicey.
no legal redress here. sorry for the pun.
they'll say she could have stolen it.

icelollycraving Tue 01-Jun-21 17:19:57

The thing is though @HotChocolateLover shoes are less likely to be stolen, if they have one size out iyswim. Zara are known for being v strict regarding receipts.

ICECream821 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:20:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icelollycraving Tue 01-Jun-21 17:21:53

As a pp said, this is a learning curve. Zara sells well so she could recoup most of her costs hopefully. I can guarantee Zara are not going to trace a transaction to give you your money back.

TangledUp789 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:23:04

Zara’s returns policy is very clear to be fair:

“To exchange or return any purchase made in our stores, it is vital that you show the paper receipt. You can also display this using the Zara app.”

Could she not just buy the dress again in store in the correct size. Hold onto that receipt. Then return the original dress using the new receipt.

TakeYourFinalPosition Tue 01-Jun-21 17:26:34

The CRA is only relevant if it's faulty... not for the wrong size. They have no legal requirement to offer any resolution for the wrong size.

she says the receipt came out of the bag in high winds and blew away.

And unfortunately, that sounds really sketchy, even if it's true.

Has she tried taking it back in person and exchanging it for the same dress in the smaller size?

If so, I'd resell it on eBay/Depop etc.

notangelinajolie Tue 01-Jun-21 17:33:21

Order right size online and then send the wrong size one back as a return.

Hazytown Tue 01-Jun-21 17:43:06

Thanks everybody ... a lesson learned indeed. Primarily, don't shop at Zara if the wind is up.

Ostara212 Tue 01-Jun-21 18:30:23

Hazytown

Thanks everybody ... a lesson learned indeed. Primarily, don't shop at Zara if the wind is up.

But most stores would say the same?

Maray1967 Sun 06-Jun-21 18:22:47

No, I got a refund back on to my card from m and s when I had lost the receipt as the item was still on sale at the same price. No quibbles.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in