Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need Advice for my mum Urgent

(11 Posts)
pyjamagirl Fri 05-Oct-07 09:59:12

At the beginning of the year my sister wanted a car so my mum agreed to put the finance in her name and the car in sisters name .
This all went well for a few months then sister started dodging payments this is of a £130.00 a month

Is there anything my mum can do ?

dustystar Fri 05-Oct-07 10:00:54

Unfortunately I don't think there is a great deal she can do - She could try the small claims court I suppose.

flowerybeanbag Fri 05-Oct-07 10:03:59

Did your mum and your sister have anything in writing between them saying that your sister would pay x a month or whatever?

If not, then the finance is in your mum's name and not a lot she can do I wouldn't have thought.

pyjamagirl Fri 05-Oct-07 10:15:20

No she didn't trouble is sister is so blase about it she just dosent give a s**t I'm so angry and my mum is falling behind with the rent because of it

flowerybeanbag Fri 05-Oct-07 10:20:17

I would suggest your mum stops payments to car company and tells you sister that, on the basis that the car will then be repossessed, which presumably sister won't be too happy about...?

Only trouble with that is as finance is in your mum's name, if threat of car being taken away doesn't work and sister doesn't start coughing up, your mum's credit record will be damaged and she may end up in trouble with debt collectors etc.

But threat of car being taken away by finance company might shock your sister into action?

NannyL Fri 05-Oct-07 10:33:39

yes i agree.... get your mum to sell the car... or threaten to! that may make your sister think again

Niecie Fri 05-Oct-07 10:37:51

She could tell your sister that she has stopped payments and the car will be repossessed but keep them up without telling her. Maybe she will be made to feel guilty enough to cough up and your mother's credit record is kept in tact. Won't work for long though.

My BIL has a similar problem with my other BIL. Not a happy situation, is it.

SpookyDooooo Fri 05-Oct-07 10:40:22

The problem with that is your mum won't be able to sell the car because it is in your sisters name, your mum should have put the car in her name in case anything like this happened (like it has) then your mum could have given the car back.

I don't think there is alot she can do, maybe get advice from CAB?

Or she can stop payments & the car will be taken away, but as someone else has said it will probably effect her credit history & be quite stressful!

I can not actually believe someone can have so lack of respect for there own mother, how old is your sister? I would never ever do anything so disrespectful & hurtful to make my own mother struggle/suffer sad

Freckle Fri 05-Oct-07 10:44:19

Putting the car in your sister's name does not make her the owner of the car - just the registered keeper.

Your mum can reclaim the car from your sister and sell it to pay off the bulk of the loan (although it probably won't clear the whole loan).

Presumably if faced with the loss of the car, your sister will cough up?

pyjamagirl Fri 05-Oct-07 11:22:00

Thanks for all your advice I just rang my sister up and told her my mum had rung the finance company and told them the siutuation ans someone was coming out to see about repossing the car !!!! It was a total lie but it worked my mum now has the money for this month at least.
It has happened a couple of months in a row and I truly cant believe how selfish she is been she is almost 20 and has a 2 year old son but she seems to think the world owes her a living and we should all sort out her life for her (which I used to do but cant cope with teh stress and drama anymore) an example of her other bad behavour is a fortnight ago she got extremley drunk then told my other sister she wasn't a real woman cos she couldn't have babies she is having problems at the moment.
Anyway thanks again everyone x

TheMuppetMuggle Fri 05-Oct-07 11:30:48

PJ Thats so bad, i've just been through the same thing got a car on finance for my now ex-dp i got it in my name, he promised to pay coz he didn't the car got repossessed. which in someway has annoyed me coz i was using the car when i needed it to. but he's now disappeared off the face of the earth and i think it has now been left on my credit record. gggggrrrrrrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now