Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If I send a cheque through the post for payment of something, are the company obliged to send a recepit?

(8 Posts)
saltire Wed 03-Oct-07 08:00:38

Is this right? If I ask for one do they need me one? Especially since it's their fault I need the recepit for my insurance company

saltire Wed 03-Oct-07 08:01:03

"need to send me one" is what I should have written

saltire Wed 03-Oct-07 08:07:02

Anyone?
I need to phone them, as they say they don't send receipts>

eleusis Wed 03-Oct-07 08:12:53

I would think they would send one if you ask. However, you will at least have a cancelled cheque.

saltire Wed 03-Oct-07 08:15:52

I have asked them and they said "we don't do that, you will know we received it when the cheque is cashed from your account".
Like I said though I need the receipt for Insurance company and it's the fault of the people I paid it to that I have had to claim in the first place

eleusis Wed 03-Oct-07 08:53:11

Well, I'm no expert but I thought businesses were legally required to give receipts. Perhaps I'm mistaken though.

saltire Wed 03-Oct-07 09:08:51

Mind you it is the MOD/Defence Estates, whoa re after all a law unto themselves.

I can't get my claim processed without one

Helennn Wed 03-Oct-07 09:13:31

I would have thought if you put an SAE in they couldn't reasonably refuse, especially if you put in a note explaining why. We have our own small business, (not the MOD admittedly!), and if someone requires a receipt I just send the invoice back with paid by cheque with thanks on it with the date and a signature.

There is nothing to say that you have to send one as far as I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now