Talk

Advanced search

MLM Bot watch 62: MLMs taking advantage of CoronaV and other scams

(785 Posts)
GoldenKelpie Wed 29-Jul-20 18:36:59

Here is link to previous thread...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/3937557-MLM-Bot-Watch-61-enquire-within-upon-everything-pyramid-shaped?watched=1&msgid=98721275#98721275

OP’s posts: |
Spongebobette Wed 29-Jul-20 18:43:04

Thanks!

Let’s keep fighting the good fight against the dastardly MLMs

If one single person finds these threads and it causes them to swerve signing up to an MLM, we have done something worthwhile

BSintolerant Wed 29-Jul-20 19:03:11

Thank you! I can’t believe we’re 62.

If anyone who comes across this thread is wondering whether to join Bodyshop at Home, Tropic, or Avon please do your research. They are on the MLM Shit List along with all the usual suspects including Arbonne (who still haven’t filed their accounts with Companies House), Forever Living (whose cheques are growing less visible with every passing year) and Modere (which attracts lying bankrupts) to name but a few.

The Direct Selling Association (DSA) wants start calling a spade a fucking shovel by using the term “direct sales” instead of “MLM.” The DSA must think we’re all bloody stupid if it thinks we’re going to swallow that.

BSintolerant Wed 29-Jul-20 19:10:00

I’ll quote this again as it was on the previous thread because it could help potential MLM victims protect themselves from predatory bots who want to part them from their hard-earned money.

“No doesn’t mean ‘no’ it means ‘not right now” is in the MLM commandments! That one is a Forever Fibbing Classic.

Have you ever read Gavin de Becker’s “The Gift of Fear“? Everyone should read it - it explains how intuition keeps you safe and contains a lot of common sense. Here are some de Becker’s quotes which are apt in many situations - especially MLM situations.

‘I encourage people to remember that “no” is a complete sentence.’

‘“No” is a word that must never be negotiated, because the person who chooses not to hear it is trying to control you.’

‘There’s a lesson in real-life stalking cases that young women can benefit from learning: persistence only proves persistence—it does not prove love. The fact that a romantic pursuer is relentless doesn’t mean you are special—it means he is troubled.”

‘Niceness is a decision, a strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait. People seeking to control others almost always present the image of a nice person in the beginning. Like rapport-building, charm and the deceptive smile, unsolicited niceness often has a discoverable motive.’

‘If you tell someone ten times that you don’t want to talk to him, you are talking to them—nine more times than you wanted to.’

Wise words indeed.
Oh my goodness, I need to read this book.

Norma27 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:14:56

I'm really hoping I've had an effect in an exercise group I'm in.
I always post warning about mlms when anybody asks about protein shakes etc. The last week or so there are fewer replies suggesting pyramid schemes. Maybe they just block me when they see my post but I don't think most read other replies, they just try to shill their crap.
I do warn against pms too in case they only do that which is against the group rules.

Getthekettleon2020 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:23:32

Castle getting fashion advice from Mr Homeschool.
Fan club getting orgasmic over cheap haute couture.

Norma27 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:25:23

@Getthekettleon2020 ha ha that is so funny!

SSDGM Wed 29-Jul-20 19:49:07

Place marking! Thanks for new Fred!!

BSintolerant Wed 29-Jul-20 20:49:39

Castle will be saluting next! grin

Lemming20 Wed 29-Jul-20 21:22:00

Placemarking smile

Paddy1234 Wed 29-Jul-20 21:31:42

Place marking as always!

Thank you for starting a new thread ❤️

CompleteBarstool Wed 29-Jul-20 21:32:08

BSintolerant those quotes are so apt particularly this one:

‘Niceness is a decision, a strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait. People seeking to control others almost always present the image of a nice person in the beginning. Like rapport-building, charm and the deceptive smile, unsolicited niceness often has a discoverable motive.’

That's the love-bombing we see in action from the bots towards their down lines , and the bits we don't always see of course which is when bots are targeting potential victims

CheekySmile Wed 29-Jul-20 21:41:09

Ahem...a little announcement from Timeless Vie
www.facebook.com/1800338373630197/posts/2554841418179885/?d=n

BSintolerant Wed 29-Jul-20 21:52:03

De Becker says something about charm as well @CompleteBarstool. I can’t remember the exact quote but when you describe someone as “charming” you should turn it around to “this person is charming me.”

This and the fact that niceness isn’t a character trait is spot on. People have described serial killers like Ted Bundy and Fred West as being very nice, easygoing and charming. Of course they were! Fred West didn’t abduct his victims off the streets; he won their trust by befriending and charming them. Rose was said to have been similar - and vulnerable women are more likely to trust other women who are being nice to them.

I’m not saying that our MLM bots are serial killers (although I do wonder if Yawn’s botnapped someone and they’re tied up in the cellar or her Bot Potty) but their modus operandi is certainly predatory. grin

BSintolerant Wed 29-Jul-20 21:56:14

@CheekySmile A new podcast! Excellent! That will put a cat amongst the Super Soaring Flappy Pigeons. Eeeek! grin

FeeBeeBooh Wed 29-Jul-20 22:19:41

Hello is Tropic the new FL?
I've now got 5 Tropic Bot friends - but the FL ones have gone off social media.

Magstermay Wed 29-Jul-20 22:34:34

Can I ask for a clue to Salon’s name please? I think he has popped up on my suggested friends list 😬. Any relation to badminton in the surname?!

YouokHun Wed 29-Jul-20 23:11:59

FeeBeeBooh

Hello is Tropic the new FL?
I've now got 5 Tropic Bot friends - but the FL ones have gone off social media.

I wonder if this is as a result of the aforementioned DSA campaign to position either the old names (Avon, Tupperware) or home grown MLM (BS@H, Tropic, Neal’s Yard) as risk free regular money “direct selling” safe bets. Or as the DSA overlord said “we don’t have MLMs, I’d like to ban the term, we are different in the U.K.”. There seems to be a perception that these are a good option. What a mistake sad

BSintolerant Thu 30-Jul-20 00:15:14

@FeeBeeBooh have your FL bots gone off social media because they’ve knocked FL on the head?

@Magstermay Salon’s last name isn’t Shuttlecock! grin

First name: fourth syllable of the name of the Queen of England.

Second name: first syllable is a breakfast cereal beginning with “B”. Second syllable is the name of the above mentioned Queen’s only daughter who is seventy this year.

I wondered that too @YouokHun. “we are different in the UK ...” may explain the reasoning (such as it is) of those who think Donald Trump is a bellend yet Boris Johnson is the dog’s bollocks.

Fedupofballs Thu 30-Jul-20 08:57:25

I’ve just been invited to an Empire group on FB and this looks to be a whole new level of MLM tat. It’s selling goods you could get on amazon/aliexpress. There were some pretty scary plastic fairy ornaments the other day. My FB acquaintance was also selling an outdoor peacock for a bargain £25 plus £3 delivery. A quick google brought up the exact same one for £15 at Amazon (glo-Brite metal peacock garden stake if you’re interested!)

Charteta Thu 30-Jul-20 12:48:46

Looks like Yawn is downgrading the boat buying to a caravan....

CompleteBarstool Thu 30-Jul-20 13:24:48

If she bought a caravan (and I doubt very much that she will) it would only be to accessorize it to within an inch of its life.

She's run out of wall space and display space in the house so this is the next step grin

dickiedavisthunderthighs Thu 30-Jul-20 13:50:45

I thoroughly enjoyed Mr Yawn's "prank" on their wedding anniversary. If you're going to prank someone you wait until they've opened the first present and then give them the second one, you don't wait hours (so you can go to the shop and buy another present)

Spongebobette Thu 30-Jul-20 13:54:44

She doesn’t have the access to family money that Castle does, so instead of a ‘lodge’ she can only manage a caravan
Copycatting again - remember the virtual island she did after Castle started a virtual village?

BSintolerant Thu 30-Jul-20 14:00:47

Do you think Yawn will be wearing dungarees next? grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in