Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please can someone tell me they have used one of those agencies that will repair my credit file

(3 Posts)
private Wed 26-Sep-07 20:31:23

Yes i`ve totally bodged up.Have spent last 3 years being really good and then got a few small debts which i know is my own fault.Trouble is it brought back lots of horrid memories and i`ve not been able to open the letters.
We really want to extend our home next year and i think i just got a couple of defaults so its never going to happen.
Can any of these credit repair agencies really do what they claim ?
This is the worst feeling ever.

Lubyloo Wed 26-Sep-07 21:43:26

I have never used one but I would advise to stay well clear and save your money. No one can actually remove credit information from your credit report unless it is inaccurate. So anyone claiming to remove your disputes or CCJs (if you have them) is bogus.You can view your own credit reports and can dispute information on them. You can also place a notice on your credit report to explain any mitigating circumstances (although in reality most lenders will not pay any attention to these)

It generally takes six times as long to repair any damage on your credit report than it does to damage it in the first place. The best way to improve your credit is to ensure that you make regular timely payments on all your bills. If you don't have a credit card it may be a good idea to get one but ensure that you pay the bill off every month.

You are the best person to repair your credit record and unfortunately it will take time. Ignoring your letters and bills will only make things worse (which I know you know!) If you are having trouble meeting your payments then it may be worth seeing if you can come to an arrangement with the individual companies. The CAB is brilliant at helping with debt problems. Good luck!

janinlondon Thu 27-Sep-07 10:19:50

I don't believe them. You can't actually repair a credit rating except over time. You can only make changes to your record if there are errors. Sorry. I wouldn't go down this road...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now