Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone answer my question about car tax and when to put it on the windscreen?

(10 Posts)
cece Tue 25-Sep-07 13:52:22

Basically I bought online and it runs out the end of Sept. I now have the little disc and wondered if I could put it on windscreen today as I am positive I will lose it before 1st Oct.

Freckle Tue 25-Sep-07 13:55:45

I'm sure that would be fine. If in doubt, why not tuck it behind the current disc and remove the current one when it expires?

cece Tue 25-Sep-07 13:57:27

good idea thanks - I can't see why it would be a problem but just wanted to check. Last thing I need is a fine!

SaintGeorge Wed 26-Sep-07 10:19:29

Your new disc is valid 14 days before Oct 1st so it is fine to put it in the windscreen now.

Eddas Wed 26-Sep-07 10:28:40

don't they just have valid til dates on them? if i'm right surely you can just stick it in when you get it and get rid of the old one. I should know really since I bought mine in augustblushgrin

SaintGeorge Wed 26-Sep-07 10:30:45

The DVLA wont issue them until they are valid. Before the 14 day mark, you would be issued a disc for the current month not the following month IYSWIM.

cece Wed 26-Sep-07 14:02:57

Thanks will pop into the holdee thing then!

mrsflowerpot Wed 26-Sep-07 14:07:25

don't do what I did earlier this year - ordered it online in plenty of time and put it on the hall windowsill until the 1st of the month. Went to put it in the car on the 1st and it was gone - realised I had posted it with a bunch of letters and had to wait for it to come back to me in the post.

OrmIrian Wed 26-Sep-07 14:08:16

I just did that very thing for exactly the same reason cece!

bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 26-Sep-07 14:11:08

My dh has just renewed his Tax disc at our local DVLA office and they told him not to put the new disc in until Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now