Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Really fucking shitty service -can they do this PLEASE help!!

(18 Posts)
kitsandbits Mon 24-Sep-07 16:34:17

Bought new washing machine June 27th

Plumbed it in July 8th

Saterday 1st Sep it broke

engineer couldnt come till thursday 6th september (doesnt even touch washing machine just orders in a part) hmm

should be in by wed

ring on wed 12th - no pet - takes 7 - 10 days ...

which takes us to Wed 19th ... i ring

no part (ring back monday 24th)

SO IVE JUST RANG BACK AND THEYVE TOLD ME THERES NO PART & ITS ANOTHER 7-10 DAYS!!

IVE BEEN CRYING.

ive got 2 babies & dont drive

they wont give me a new one - they can but they wont

they said if it gets to the end of this 10 days then they will consider giving me a new one if the part hasnt come in

can i demand a new one?

do i have any rights?

kitsandbits Mon 24-Sep-07 16:35:14

its been 3 weeks and its hell, and they are saying another week at least???

cece Mon 24-Sep-07 16:36:14

I would try for a new one - poor you

nappynuttynormabutty Mon 24-Sep-07 16:38:16

I believe (tho someone might correct me!) that if it breaks within 6 months of purchase you are entitled to a new one or a refund. The onus is on them to prove you broke it iyswim. Tell them you want a new one and if they won't you'll get trading standards and watchdog involved.

kitsandbits Mon 24-Sep-07 16:38:17

i have tried - bbut theyare saying no

have they got any obligation to give me a new one if they havent got the parts to repair?

Freckle Mon 24-Sep-07 16:38:28

Contact Consumer Direct, which will give you full details of your rights and I would also report the company to Trading Standards.

When you call the company next, tell them that you intend to involve Trading Standards.

Freckle Mon 24-Sep-07 16:39:19

Actually, you are entitled to a replacement, repair or full refund and it is your choice, not theirs. Quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to them.

SaintGeorge Mon 24-Sep-07 16:45:41

And don't let them throw you by saying the Sale of Goods Act has been amended.

It has, more than once, but all in the consumers favour.

See here and check out all the relevant links on the page.

kitsandbits Mon 24-Sep-07 16:59:16

Can somebody please help me with what ive actully got to say??

you should give me a replacement because ,, X Y Z

Please im really shite at this stuff

kitsandbits Mon 24-Sep-07 17:04:26

please

newlifenewname Mon 24-Sep-07 17:08:33

See here: i need real help im in well over my head here! i got married to a man 11yrs older than me n things were great but he turns on me out of the blue n im scared out of my wits!!! iv neva done anything 2 upset him i gave up everything for him. i dont moan i let him do anything he wants n he gets anything he wants. we have got a lil boy n my lil boy wont go to his own dad iv tried to get out of the relationship b4 n it didnt work, can any 1 giv me any advise?

newlifenewname Mon 24-Sep-07 17:08:53

arse wrong thread

LIZS Mon 24-Sep-07 17:17:16

You can call/email Consumer Direct for speicfic advice. However I suspect as you have technicially agreed to a repair (whether they have achieved it yet or not) you cannot now reject the goods and ask for a replacement. If they then cannot deliver the repair within a reasonable amount of time (which is not specifically defined) you can again demand a replacement instead.

LIZS Mon 24-Sep-07 17:18:41

See www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ Did you pay by credit card , that may offer you some protection.

edam Mon 24-Sep-07 17:19:53

Tell them they know perfectly well that the Sale of Goods Act says goods have to be as described and fit for the purpose for which they were sold. If not, you are entitled to your choice of refund, repair or replacement. And you want your money back, now, plus compensation for all the mucking about.

LittleMinx Mon 24-Sep-07 18:57:47

tell them you have contacted watchdog and the local papers and that your brother is a lawyer or something along those lines. plus quote trading standards. when on phone to them remain calm (hard i know), firm, insistant and confident.

I ALWAYS get refunds.... i got a refund on a brand new car once but its because i tell them i have a friend who works on watchdog/solicitor/jorunalist etc.

tell them unless they replace it immediately you will be suing for time, money etc spent having to go to launderette/dry cleaners and tell them unless they do it immediately they will go in papers etc regardless.

good luck and let us know how you get on. dont let the bastards win.

LIZS Tue 25-Sep-07 21:01:15

What have you done KitsnBits ?

maggymay Wed 26-Sep-07 11:39:00

I had this problem I phone up and told them that as far as I was concerned the washing machine was not fit for the purpose it was sold for and I demanded a replacement otherwise I would be contacting trading standers and anyone else that would listen my replacement was there within 3 days and plumbed in for me too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now