Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this right? Asking for a reference....

(8 Posts)
admylin Fri 21-Sep-07 15:19:11

I tried asking this on 'other subjects' but no one could advise so here goes another try...
Dh has a contract with his present job until the end of September 2008. His boss is always saying he'll apply for funding for another 3 years but dh would stay in the same position (so no promotion for sure). Now he has a job offer where he could move up the career ladder in the next 2 years depending on results (research). They want a reference from the present employer though, although he already gave 3 very good references and he would still have to get through an interview. Is he risking putting his present boss off applying for more grants for him? He is unsure about asking him for a reference as if he doesn't get the job in the end he might have lost his 3 year extension. How would you handle the asking/explaining part? I've told him to tell his boss that he has more chance of promotion in the new job and he should understand but he has to meet with him on Sunday (they all work weekends) and then he should talk to him.I always thought you didn't say anything to your employer until you were sure of being given the new job. Time is slipping away as dh isn't getting any younger!

Twiglett Fri 21-Sep-07 15:21:33

tell prospective employer that if they offer him the job then he will happily allow them to contact current employer for reference

references should be taken up AFTER offering the job

flowerybeanbag Fri 21-Sep-07 15:21:50

I would advise him to say to the other potential employer that he is happy to give the details of his current boss for a reference but only once he has an offer of employment. That's perfectly normal. The new employer can make the offer conditional, subject to satisfactory references, so they are protected - if the reference comes back as terrible, they can withdraw the offer.

hope that makes sense!

admylin Fri 21-Sep-07 15:25:44

Thank goodness, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Then maybe he has actually had a real offer - have to get him to check it up as it's in America so the way of putting things could be different I suppose. I'll look for the phrases that were used in the email. Phew, let this be for real!

admylin Fri 21-Sep-07 15:30:28

OK, in his first mail he wrote:
'From your CV, you could be a good match for our lab' and asked quite a few questions about work and even about us (the family). In teh second mail he wrote:

'We should continue exploring the possibility of your joining us.The main next steps are to wait for the letter from your supervisor.'

Does that sound as if he's got the job?

Twiglett Fri 21-Sep-07 15:37:20

no its not a definite offer

write back and state your situation
ie

happy for contact of previous referees, cannot offer current employer as referee until job offer and acceptance due to concerns you've highlighted...

be honest and above-board .. they'll understand

Twiglett Fri 21-Sep-07 15:37:58

'explore the possibility' is different from 'job offer subject to references checking otu'

admylin Fri 21-Sep-07 15:43:08

That has been really helpfull, thanks. I would also expect to have read 'we would like to offer you the position' before he goes and tells his boss here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now