Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(2 Posts)
EmmaJW1976 Fri 21-Sep-07 09:56:29

I left work in August. From April to August I had earned £4000 total on which I had paid about £100 a month tax.

I am now getting Carers Allowance which I think is taxable.

So, am I owed some tax back?

Obviously I paid my tax on the basis I would be earning over £10k but I only earned £4k plus £1300 Carers Allowance.

If so, can I claim this now or wait til April.

I will start working just a few hours on a SE basis soon so I am SO confused about everything!

Anyone help?

Bienchen Fri 21-Sep-07 17:47:59

You can only claim back at the end of the tax year, ie from 6 April 08.

If you go self-employed, you need to do a separate tax return for this.

Inland Revenue run useful half day courses on becoming selfemployed, might be useful to call them and find out what they offer in your area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: