Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Urgent need advice

(6 Posts)
TheMuppetMuggle Thu 20-Sep-07 16:12:14

A few months ago i took a loan out against my car to bail out my ex for repayment for a loan he took out a few yrs ago.
Any way he promised to pay me every month if i did this - so stupid me went and done it, now i paid the first 2 mths as he never gave me any - but told him i couldn't afford to do it this month - and he promised to pay the whole lot in full last saturday, he then got delayed due to work issues and is coming home friday.
ANyhow my car was taken away this morning for non payment and i need over £1300 to get them to release it.
How do i go about getting the money that ex owes me??
I'm so angry that i want to get bailiffs on him or something
But as the car was in my name the loan was to me so nothing in writing that i gave him the money
What can i do??

In total he owes about £9k

fingerwoman Thu 20-Sep-07 16:13:51

as far as I can see there is absolutely nothing you can do to make your ex give you the money.
the loan was in your name and is your responsibility. All you can do is appeal to his better nature, though it doesn't sound like he has one

ladymuck Thu 20-Sep-07 16:18:28

Do you have any evidence that you lent him, rather than gave him, the money?

flowerybeanbag Thu 20-Sep-07 16:20:05

I'm not sure there's anything you can do tbh

It was a private arrangement between you and him, and even if there was some way of proving you gave him the money, bank statement or whatever, there's only your word against his that it was a loan not a gift.

LIZS Thu 20-Sep-07 16:24:00

Sorry but unless you had a formal agreement it was your risk and he may just avoid all responsibility for your situation . As long as his other debts are in his name only hoepfully, for you it stops here. However it seems your chances of recouping the "loan" are slight. His other creditors have first call legally if it came to it. Surprised they have claimed the car so quickly though

TheMuppetMuggle Thu 20-Sep-07 18:10:25

No evidence i don't think no.
I'm so angry with myself as i really trusted him had no reason to think otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now