Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bankruptcy Checks

(8 Posts)
lulabelle Thu 20-Sep-07 14:45:52

...please can someone advise, we have had a letter from our solicitor they are doing the checks as part of our mortgage, DH has just rang to say that whilst there are no entries against my name there are many against his, but they are addresses in Colchester and parts of Essex, no where near us, because I can't see the letter and can't get any sense from him in his panic does anyone know what this is?

lailasmum Thu 20-Sep-07 14:51:35

has his identity been stolen? I had this happen to me, not quite the same outcome but it took a while to unravel.

lulabelle Thu 20-Sep-07 14:56:39

No idea, its quite worrying but until I get home and read the letter for myself I can't make sense of it. Hopefully someone on here will be able to advise.

lailasmum Thu 20-Sep-07 15:03:19

I only think that maybe stolen identity as if your dh has no knowledge of it then its likely to be people taking out things in his name at different addresses and then not paying them etc.

he should get a copy of his credit record asap as things may show up on there.

I was lucky because a credit card company that I had a card with realised that someone was trying to use my details and alerted me to it, they put a flag on my credit record so further checks are taken if my details are used and it has stopped several other attempts.

the other thing I was thinking is are they just matches to his name, and not actually confirmed as him, In which case they are just being cautious and not actually saying it is him if that makes sense, that would need further clarification.

MamaG Thu 20-Sep-07 15:04:55

Don't panic!

When soliciotrs to bankruptcy seraches (which they do on every single house transaction!) they only put in teh name "john Smith"

no DOB

no address

its rather odd

but you get loads of entries for people living in [wherever] that aren't actually you.

PLEASE don't panic, it happens all the time.

lulabelle Thu 20-Sep-07 15:07:16

We have credit reports and nothing has ever shown on them untoward, the letter does apparently say - he is a little calmer now - that you must sign back to confirm that these entries are not related to you smile he is a nightmare, always panicking about id fraud, so much so he doesn't read what is in front of him and the alarm bells start ringing!!

MamaGabriellaMontez Thu 20-Sep-07 15:11:03

Are you reassured now lulabelle?

lailasmum Thu 20-Sep-07 15:13:34

doesn't sound like there is any need to panic. My dh is like this will panic but actually totally miss the point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now