Can landlord find out I get PIP??

(17 Posts)
Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:04:18

I currently rent in the private sector. If I’m awarded PIP could my landlord find out from the county council or any other way?

I don’t currently recieve any benefits.

OP’s posts: |
Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:05:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:16:41

I looked on the county council website and they want the landlords details. I really don’t want my landlord finding out and asking me very uncomfortable questions I’m not willing to answer. May I ask do you work for a council or do you get pip ? My landlord did get notified of my 25% deduction for being a single person

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:27:16

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 23-May-20 15:30:47

PIP isn't a means tested benefit. It's totally for the added costs that having a disability means you incur, when compared with a non disabled person. You can work full time and still get it.

Iwalkinmyclothing Sat 23-May-20 15:31:29

What has it to do with the council? They don't administer PIP.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:32:31

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:33:55

The reason I ask is because I read if you get pip then you can also get reduced council tax.

However I’m reluctant to get it in case they tell landlord

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:36:06

Sorry just saw you message the council tax is in my name.

I get the bill and pay it but they have his details and have historically sent information on banding and rates etc. Not sure why as I pay the bill.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:38:50

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:42:15

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:42:56

I have privacy issues with my landlord. He seemed to know that I applied for a single person discount without me even telling him. He’s very nosey! He told me he had been trying to speak to the council about my account !!

Moondust001 Sat 23-May-20 15:47:33

Well unless you aren't a single person, guessing you applied for for the discount is a no- brainer! All single people are entitled to it.

unicornsarereal72 Sun 24-May-20 10:17:44

GDPR would stop the council sharing any information with anyone but you. Assuming your name is only on the council tax bill? He can ask but should not be told anything.

AtAmber Sun 24-May-20 10:34:24

I take phonecalls about Council Tax and Housing Benefit. Your landlord should not be given any information at all about your Council Tax bill unless you have signed an authority to discuss form. I would ring them to check that they haven't had one of these signed by someone else in your name and tell them you are worried about him trying to get information. They can put a password on your account.

Rosie2020 Sat 30-May-20 10:19:08

He did ask me to do an authority to discuss form but I declined. He has asked the council a few times to discuss account but they have refused. Phew

CountryGirlAddCoffee Sun 31-May-20 23:33:48

He shouldn't be told, I work in housing and we don't get information on any benefits tenants receive except UC and that's only because we have to confirm the rent liability.
Your landlord sounds nosey and interfering,
As PP said, pip is to help with your costs as a disabled person, and has nothing to do with your housing.
Actually very sorry you are potentially being subjected to this level of interference. It's very unnecessary.
Sorry if this is rude but do you have arrears? That is the only time we would be more concerned with the overall household income, so we could assist with financial planning so your priority bills are taken care of and you don't end up in trouble

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in