Talk

Advanced search

Can landlord find out I get PIP??

(16 Posts)
Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:04:18

I currently rent in the private sector. If I’m awarded PIP could my landlord find out from the county council or any other way?

I don’t currently recieve any benefits.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:05:41

No, they shouldn't be able to find out (if they asked) and wouldn't be notified either.

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:16:41

I looked on the county council website and they want the landlords details. I really don’t want my landlord finding out and asking me very uncomfortable questions I’m not willing to answer. May I ask do you work for a council or do you get pip ? My landlord did get notified of my 25% deduction for being a single person

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:27:16

I get PIP.

I'm not sure why you're applying for PIP through the council- it's a DWP benefit. You usually need to contact them directly to apply for it.

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 23-May-20 15:30:47

PIP isn't a means tested benefit. It's totally for the added costs that having a disability means you incur, when compared with a non disabled person. You can work full time and still get it.

Iwalkinmyclothing Sat 23-May-20 15:31:29

What has it to do with the council? They don't administer PIP.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:32:31

Oh - I didn't quite understand your comment about 25% discounts - are you talking about council tax?
CAB says that PIP can entitle you to further council tax discounts; I don't know whether this is done automatically. I'm guessing the council tax is in your landlords name and you reimburse him for the bill? Is there any way you could change that?

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/extra-help-pip-entitles-you-to/

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:33:55

The reason I ask is because I read if you get pip then you can also get reduced council tax.

However I’m reluctant to get it in case they tell landlord

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:36:06

Sorry just saw you message the council tax is in my name.

I get the bill and pay it but they have his details and have historically sent information on banding and rates etc. Not sure why as I pay the bill.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:38:50

I'd suggest giving your council a ring on Tuesday to ask them directly- you can do that without giving your details.

I've never known any of my landlords have my council tax info passed on - that seems really odd! Bring that up too when you call them.

Butterer Sat 23-May-20 15:42:15

I forgot to say - good luck with finding out and with your claim if you decide to go ahead with it

Rosie2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:42:56

I have privacy issues with my landlord. He seemed to know that I applied for a single person discount without me even telling him. He’s very nosey! He told me he had been trying to speak to the council about my account !!

Moondust001 Sat 23-May-20 15:47:33

Well unless you aren't a single person, guessing you applied for for the discount is a no- brainer! All single people are entitled to it.

unicornsarereal72 Sun 24-May-20 10:17:44

GDPR would stop the council sharing any information with anyone but you. Assuming your name is only on the council tax bill? He can ask but should not be told anything.

AtAmber Sun 24-May-20 10:34:24

I take phonecalls about Council Tax and Housing Benefit. Your landlord should not be given any information at all about your Council Tax bill unless you have signed an authority to discuss form. I would ring them to check that they haven't had one of these signed by someone else in your name and tell them you are worried about him trying to get information. They can put a password on your account.

Rosie2020 Sat 30-May-20 10:19:08

He did ask me to do an authority to discuss form but I declined. He has asked the council a few times to discuss account but they have refused. Phew

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »