Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So am I the only one who doesn't have 'spending money'?

(15 Posts)
3sEnough Mon 17-Sep-07 16:39:38

Perhaps it's because we're on one income but I really and truly don't have any spare out of dh money to have speding money - it's all spent on food, clothes, kids clubs, etc, etc. I'm reading the other thread on dh's who won't 'go joint' (and yes, agree - sounds like he needs to get a life) but everybody except me seems to have some extra - where did it all go wrong?!!

SenoraPostrophe Mon 17-Sep-07 16:42:14

buy clothes in charity shops and spend the difference?

does your dh have spare spending money? if so that's not fair - you should talk to him about it.

3sEnough Mon 17-Sep-07 16:44:28

No - that's the thing - we do truly share what we have and don;t go out to the pub, cinema, buy from oxfam and shop fairly carefully and yet still have bugger all spending money. grrrr

mosschops30 Mon 17-Sep-07 16:45:28

we dont have a joint account, but I dont expect dh to give me 'spending money'(weird concept IMHO) either.
If i need something I do a couple of bank shifts and pay for it myself.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 16:45:30

DH and I have seperate accounts - never got round to getting a joint one and it actulaly works out ok - especially as almost all of the debts which we got 2yrs ago were in his name (leaving me with a slightly dented, but not badly so, credit rating whereas his is completely b*ggered).

Usually we keep any "extras" we have at the end of each month to ourselves - sometimes he ends up with more than me, sometimes I end up with more than him. When things are tight (ie atm with me on SMP) we "split" equally anything that's left over (not much grin) between us equally.

tarantula Mon 17-Sep-07 16:54:37

Nah you arent the only one. I work full time and Dp is at home and neither of us have any spending money. By the time we pay bills, food etc there really isnt much left. If we manage to get out to the pub for a Sunday afternoon once a month we are lucky and that rarely costs more than £20.

3sEnough Mon 17-Sep-07 17:03:42

Thank goodness - I had always considered myself to be more than 'just barely' off but I really can't justify that anymore! I am seriously looking foreard to going back to work once dd2 is at school - any extra would just be lovely.

Flamesparrow Mon 17-Sep-07 17:13:04

None here either (no bloody money in general here grin) - we have money seperate if it is a gift (birthday/xmas etc), but other than that, if we can stretch to it one month he has a new game, another I might be able to get new clothes... it all balances out over the year.

quadrophenia Mon 17-Sep-07 17:15:03

we don't tend to have extras as such, but are quite reasonable with eachother if we need stuff

MrsTittleMouse Mon 17-Sep-07 17:58:11

We don't have any of what I would call "spending money", i.e. neither of us has a set amount of money to blow on fripperies. On the other hand, if one of us really wants something (clothes for me, or a night drinking for DH usually), we discuss it and that person usually gets the money. We're both quite frugal though (and on one income), and put money aside at the beginning of the month for savings, so while we don't spend on ourselves much, there is some cash available for occasional treats.
We're just about to do a spending diary, where we right down every last penny spent. I'm hoping that it will help us identify any leaks in the budget. Could that work for you?

Pruners Mon 17-Sep-07 18:02:34

Message withdrawn

nappyaddict Mon 17-Sep-07 18:03:04

go to carboots for clothes, its even cheaper than oxfam and you get some beautiful things.

go to farmers markets for meat, fruit and veg - nicer and cheaper than supermarkets. or get a box scheme.

home cook things instead of buying it already done for you. that always saves lots of money,

shop online so you stick to a list of things you need. its much more tempting to put extras in the trolley if you're there browsing the aisles.

Pruners Tue 18-Sep-07 18:26:22

Message withdrawn

newgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 18:45:51

nappy - i went to car boot sale on sun and the clothes were great! also recommend nct sales (see their website) it makes you go off buying clothes in shops tbh as they can be excellent

Chirpygirl Tue 18-Sep-07 18:54:09

This is exactly why I started doing Avon, it doesn't make a huge amount of money but at least I can buy myself stuff from the brochures and nice makeup without needing extra money. Otherwise I would never have anything for myself! The rule for me is the money I make from that, for about 2 or 3 hours, is for me only, but it normally goes on clothes for DD....or chocolate....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now