Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax and NI on income additional to main salary - how do you do it?

(6 Posts)
bozza Wed 12-Sep-07 15:55:09

I work part time and PAYE tax and NI at the ordinary rate. Because my job is currently looking unstable I am looking at ways of generating additional income. One of these was to become a mystery shopper but I am concerned about the tax and NI implications. The amount of money involved would not put me over any thresholds.


Cappuccino Wed 12-Sep-07 15:57:05

you ring the inland revenue

you tell them you need to self assess

they send you a load of forms that terrify the bejaysus out of you

you go down to your local office and a lovely lady tells you just what to do and it is stupendously easy

bozza Wed 12-Sep-07 15:58:21

Would my current work (not bothered much about them, I am just hanging on for the redundancy grin) be not happy that I am doing additional work?

Cappuccino Wed 12-Sep-07 16:08:45

are you part-time? if so it's nothing to do with them what you do with the rest of the time

it all depends on your work tbh

bozza Wed 12-Sep-07 16:13:22

I work full days but only Tues to Thurs in IT for a company so have always just had straightforward PAYE tax.

bozza Wed 12-Sep-07 16:13:45

Meant to say thanks capp.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: